Wednesday's Dinner, 9/3/14??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today??

I'm playing with one of my two fillets of walleye and a rice dish to go with.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 9/3/14?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I am sort of following in Blane's footsteps from the other day but doing a different recipe - Balsamic Pot Roast (in the slow cooker), mashed potatoes and salad.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 9/3/14// by Trixxee (I am sort of followi...)
Left overs up the yang! I have burgers, chicken, breads, green beans lordy I've got enough food for Derek and I for the next week
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 9/3/14// by DFen911 (Left overs up the ya...)
We're having the Szechuan Beef with green beans & carrots from the latest issue. I'll let you know what we think of it!
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 9/3/14// by karyn (We're having the Sze...)
Folks gone home, Denise??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 9/3/14// by cjs (Folks gone home, Den...)
Wow, what a great dinner this was. All the flavors went together so well. And, the wine...well it speaks for itself.

Roy said he thought of me in the wine dept.................
[Image: Sept3SweetBitchSaugvBlanc_zps6185257e.jpg]

The Sauv Blanc is dryer then Riesling, but is matches similar dishes and it was wonderful with the rice/beans plus the fish and the Asian-flavored coleslaw that finished the dinner. I'll include the recipes for the Walleye and slaw on the blog after I get them typed up.

But wanted to share this side dish as it's nice for the fall.
[Image: Sept3WalleyeandRiceDinner2_zps9e6c1b80.jpg]

Cuban Rice and Beans
A Chef’s Journey adaptation of a recipe from Bush’s Bean website.

A common dish in Cuba, Moros y Cristianos can be served anytime of the day. Put an egg on top of this great-tasting combination to create an unexpected breakfast item that will impress your family.

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 red or green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dry oregano
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1 T. dry cilantro
1 can Bush’s Best ® Black Beans, drain & rinse
2 cups cooked rice
2 tsps. cider vinegar
Salt & black pepper, to taste
Fresh cilantro for garnish

Sauté onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin and oregano in olive oil until the onion is tender, about 10 minutes, over medium-low heat.

Stir in rice, Black Beans, vinegar, salt and pepper

Once everything is warm and combined, add the cilantro, check for seasoning and serve.

Wine suggestion: we served, pardon the expression, Sweet [censored], a crisp, on the dry side, Sauvignon Blanc, from Central Valley Chile.

I'm loving the Walleye!!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 9/3/14?? by cjs (Wow, what a great di...)
Too Funny, Jean! LOL!

Sunday I was grabbing the Italian Turkey Sausage (which don't microwave well as leftovers, BTW), I spotted the Brats and felt a moment of longing. Well, I caved today and bought some for Beer Brats for dinner. Leftover corn and salad will round out the meal. YUM!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 9/3/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (Too Funny, Jean! LO...)
Let us know how it turns out Trixxee, the pic that you posted on FB looked delicious.

Jean, your dog hasn't moved or aged since you got it.

Tonight it's another recipe from the new issue, Thai peanut soup.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 9/3/14?? by losblanos1 (Let us know how it t...)
Ohhhh, I didn't see that one, Blane. Anxious to hear about it.

No, he is one lazy puppy!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 9/3/14?? by cjs (Ohhhh, I didn't see ...)
Tonight we had the tuna "patties", broccoli rabe, and quoina. Very nice dinner - we used a new method for the quoina that was perfect. Instead of a sauce we just had "Just Mayo" garlic mayo . . . and it was wonderful.

Jean we love Rex Goliath wines . . . and there is nothing b ****y about you! LOL.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!