T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/5/14??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

THE SEAHAWKS DID IT - sorry, Sweet Tracie................

We're having an old family favorite - Pasta Camarones, a recipe from an old friend, Chef Tim Belardi - so good!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/5/14?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
My options are open so far. I am thinking about the 1776 House meat loaf and mashed potatoes. We'll have to see if we'll be able to get to the fruit stand for a nice fresh veggie - he gets off at 5 and the fruit stand & pharmacy both close at 6 so it'll be a rush. Today he'll get off the deck mower (6am to 10am), grab a shower, and then open the kitchen, by 11:00 all on his own - no waitress, no bartender - just him. He's a hero.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/5/14?? by Harborwitch (My options are open ...)
Yes, he is.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/5/14?? by cjs (Yes, he is. [img]/ub...)
That place sure keeps you and Bob busy, Sharon. I hope that you are still enjoying it there. Any plans for winter yet?

I think we are going to have tacos tonight. Nothing fancy, just the plain old regular kind with ground beef, lettuce tomatoes, etc. We are still getting really good watermelons here, so that will be dessert.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/5/14?? by Mare749 (That place sure keep...)
Oh Maryann, the fruit right now is just so good. Had peaches for dessert and lunchtime today - which is unheard of unless we're at a restaurant, but they smelled so good at the farmers market yesterday!

Also, the Pasta Camarones was exceptionally good this time - instead of just adding shrimp to the mix, I used my garlic roasted shrimp that I do in the oven and added it to the dish with the pasta. What a great difference - the flavor of the shrimp was so much more pronounced than just bland shrimp. It's a repeat for sure.

[Image: Sept5SlicedPeaches_zpse22e1c0b.jpg]

Not too colorful, but was it ever tasty!!
[Image: Sept5PastaCamarones_zpsef91f070.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/5/14?? by cjs (Oh Maryann, the frui...)
Jean, do I have the shrimp recipe? It looks really good! Those peaches look good, too! We have amazing peaches in the Carolina's and Georgia!!! The Georgia Belle is my favorite

Cricket and I are scrounging tonight.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/5/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, do I have the ...)
The peaches are great this year, but I have also had some amazing nectarines that were even better!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/5/14?? by Mare749 (The peaches are grea...)
We haven't been to the Farmer's Market in weeks and it doesn't look like we'll be going any time soon. The few peaches we've had were amazing . . . Jean those look so good.

Maryann we are hitting the wall.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/5/14?? by Harborwitch (We haven't been to t...)
Made refried red beans as my first attempt at copying the packets I used to buy in Honduras (before I run out of the ones I brought back with me) and was pretty close. The next time I'll use fewer jalapeños, since they were a little spicier than the packaged ones (though still delicious). Shall definitely make these again and again.

Also, for the first time, made the Ajoblanco for my mother to try. It was delicious and she did like it. For such a crazy combination of ingredients, it certainly is yummy.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/5/14?? by labradors (Made refried red bea...)
That garlic soup IS off the wall, but sounds very interesting. I have a recipe from my Hawaiian friend (had it for years) that I've never tried.......soup weather is coming. Well, it's here really - I have the heater on this a.m.

Daphne, I can't find it doing a search, so maybe I've never posted it - it's different, but quite good.

I have an old newspaper clipping of it, but just typed it up yesterday with the changes I made. The only difference is in cooking the shrimp. In the original, the shrimp are added to the onions & olives and garlic added, but that always seemed too long for the shrimp to cook and I've always added them later.

This is the first time I cooked them separately and wow, what a wonderful difference.

Pasta Camarones – Revised 9/5/14
This dish is adapted from a recipe by Chef Tim Belardi, Colfax, CA. Scallops can substituted for the shrimp.

2 T. olive oil
3 cloves garlic
4 to 6 oz. shrimp, shelled leaving last section of shell and tail on so they don’t overcook
-----
1/2 lb. fettuccine or your choice
Olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, cut into strips or coarsely chopped
1/4 cup roughly chopped Kalamata olives
1/2 cup medium salsa (or heat you prefer)
1/2 cup water
Pinch oregano
Pinch cumin
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

For the garlic roasted shrimp:
Preheat oven to 450°F. On a heavy baking sheet, mix together the garlic, olive oil, salt & pepper; add the cleaned shrimp and toss together gently. Spread out in a single layer.
Roast for 3 minutes, turn shrimp over and continue roasting until shrimp are opaque and firm, another 2 to 4 minutes. Even for large shrimp, don't be tempted to cook longer than the extra 4 minutes - they will be done, trust me.
Transfer the shrimp to a bowl scraping all the goodies into the bowl with the shrimp; cover loosely and set aside. The shrimp can be done a day ahead. They can be added to the dish as is, or cut them into bite-size pieces.

To complete the dish:
Prepare the fettuccine according to pkg. directions. Drain and set aside.

Heat just enough olive oil in a medium-size skillet to cover the bottom, over medium heat. Add the onions and olives and cook until onion is soft. Add cooked pasta, salsa, water, oregano and cumin. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add the shrimp to the skillet and continue over heat until just heated through. Sprinkle cheese over top and serve. Serves 4
www.achefsjourney.com