Sunday Dinner, 9/7/14??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today?

I have staling sourdough bread, a couple slices of the heirloom, and a bottle of champagne. So we're having BLT French Toast - a recipe from Serious Eats that I've had for a while, but not done. It's an outrageous one similar to a Monte Cristo.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday Dinner, 9/7/14?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
BLT French toast? It sounds interesting.

Today I'm going to dust off my grill and make one of my favorites, coconut marinated chicken kebabs with pineapple rice.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 9/7/14?? by losblanos1 (BLT French toast? It...)
Now, that's right up my alley!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 9/7/14?? by cjs (Now, that's right up...)
Hi everybody.
Lamb shanks with braised veggies. This is one of Peter's favorite dinners so thought I would whip it up before the weather gets really warm. Sure smells GREAT around here
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 9/7/14?? by Roxanne 21 (Hi everybody.[br]Lam...)
We are roasting a rib eye roast, mashed potatoes and au jus, and asparagus.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 9/7/14?? by Trixxee (We are roasting a ri...)
Jean, that sounds good. I love tomatoes with a breakfast of bacon, eggs, and toast, so that sandwich would work for me.

No idea what we are having for dinner. Going down to the lake for the day, so will probably eat out.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 9/7/14?? by Mare749 (Jean, that sounds go...)
Roxanne is getting ready for summer...............pooh!!

Maryann, this is a good one!
[Image: Sept7BLTFrenchToastopen_zps63cf5794.jpg]

Sunday Brunch: BLT French Toast

I love savory French toast. And when you combine salty, fried, eggy bread with bacon, tomatoes, and fresh, crunchy shredded romaine, you get a brunch that will set you straight no matter what you got yourself into the night before. Serious Eats 1/28/14

4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup milk
8 slices Italian bread
1 lb bacon (about 16 slices)
4 Tbs butter
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
4 leaves romaine lettuce
2 Tbs mayonaise
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Sliced scallions, to garnish

1. Whisk together eggs and milk and season with salt and pepper. Dip both sides of each piece of bread in the egg mixture and the bread sit in the egg mixture while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

2. Working in batches, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, draining the bacon on paper towels. Carefully pour out the bacon fat and wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel.

3. In the cleaned skillet melt half the butter over medium heat. Once the butter begins to sputter, add half the soaked bread slices, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook until second side has browned, a few minutes longer. Transfer to a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet and repeat with remaining bread and butter.

4. Divide slices of bread between 4 plates, top each slice with some torn romaine lettuce, followed by a slice of tomato, two pieces of bacon and a dollop of mayonnaise. Season each plate with salt and pepper and garnish with sliced scallions.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 9/7/14?? by cjs (Roxanne is getting r...)
I could do that except for the BREAD------WHHHHAAAAAAA!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 9/7/14?? by Roxanne 21 (I could do that exce...)
We are doing pork nuggets with pineapple- mustard sweet and sour sauce. Polynesian macaroni salad. CAH vol107, pg 11. Will report.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 9/7/14?? by cjs (Roxanne is getting r...)
That looks very good to me, Jean. Wow.

We picked up Chinese take-out on the way home today. That, and a Tom Selleck movie on Netflix finished a great day.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."