T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/12/14??
  Re: (...)
Happy T.G.I.F. to those of you still 'observing' it! What's on the menu for today??

We're gathering up the Behrendts and going to a rib joint!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/12/14?? by cjs (Happy T.G.I.F. to th...)
According to the flyer extra large king crab legs are on sale for $12.99/lb again. I don't think I can pass that up. Not going to get my hopes up too much though until I actually have them in my possession.

If that plan falls through, we might just have grilled chicken sandwiches of some sort. Maybe with pesto?
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/12/14?? by Trixxee (According to the fly...)
Take-out Chinese for me, take out Gaetano's "Boomin' Fat" cheesesteak for Hubby.

Oh yeah, they're HUGE. And d@mn good!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/12/14?? by Trixxee (According to the fly...)
Trixee,

How do you store and freeze crab legs? Because the next time I'm going to buy crab legs, I'm going for the Jumbo Snow Crab Legs at the place where I got the Colossal King Crab Legs. These Snow Crab Legs were HUGE! And spikey. And a bunch cheaper than King Crab. Should I break them part and Food Saver them?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/12/14?? by BarbaraS (Trixee,[br][br]How d...)
Y'all are making me hungry for crab legs!!!!

It hit me today that I can have hot dogs on Fridays since William isn't here!!!! So that's what Cricket and I shared! I have been craving them so bad lately! That may just be my new Friday night guilty pleasure!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/12/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (Y'all are making me ...)
I'm not going to be much help, Barbara. I only buy frozen/defrosted crab legs to cook that night or the next night. I wanted to buy more today because of the beautiful size and price but I don't know how I would get them into freezer bags - they are just too long and spiny.

I just buy what we can eat on the spot.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/12/14?? by Trixxee (I'm not going to be ...)
Barbara, if you buy them frozen and because of their size, you'd be best to cut the tips off (which can puncture thru wrapping), wrap in heavy freezer paper and freeze in large plastic bags.

Or, if cooked and thawed, best to remove the meat and pkg. the meat.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/12/14?? by cjs (Barbara, if you buy ...)
Jean,

Definitely cut off the pointy tips. But taking the meat out?? No way!! That's half the fun of eating crab!!

Barbara
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/12/14?? by Trixxee (I'm not going to be ...)
Trixxee,

I go to this seafood kiosk in a "farmer's market" kind of setting and while they have great seafood, they bundle three clusters of these huge colossal Snow Crab legs together. I simply cannot eat all three and will barely make it through one cluster. I can't ask them to unbundle, either. But they are so worth it! Next time I'll cut off the tips like Jean suggested and break the remaining clusters down to Food Saver them.

Barbara
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/12/14?? by BarbaraS (Trixxee,[br][br]I go...)
Perfect, you'll sure be good to go Barbara!!
www.achefsjourney.com