Questions regarding brining meats, poultry, etc.
  Re: (...)
We are using a brine more often these days than ever before, especially prior to grilling. For whole chicken, we brine overnight. My question is: If you are going to brine pieces of poultry or pork, then is a shorter brining time better? And, do you rinse or not rinse before cooking?

We brined a pork loin overnight the other day. Ron grilled it and it was wonderful. But...even though I did rinse it, it was a bit salty. Is overnight too long to brine? Or, is it just trial and error?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Questions regarding brining meats, poultry, etc. by Mare749 (We are using a brine...)
I have never brined pieces. They cook up quick enough to stay moist. But when I do brine anything I rinse it and pat it dry.

Pork tenderloins are already a very tender piece of meat so, for me, I wouldn't brine. I have put them in to flavor brines like soy, ginger etc. But only for a couple of hours.
  Re: Re: Questions regarding brining meats, poultry, etc. by DFen911 (I have never brined ...)
I have very limited experience with brining. I have tried brining pork loin chops and they still were tough and dry - I'm not even willing to try it again. I've brined bone-in chicken breasts for 4-5 hours, rinsed and they were good. I also brined a turkey for 24 hours, rinsed and it was great. The poultry has never come out too salty.

That is the sum total of my brining. LOL.
  Re: Re: Questions regarding brining meats, poultry, etc. by Trixxee (I have very limited ...)
Well, a dissenting voice here. I brine almost all pork products. Chops and small hunks, I brine 3-4 hrs. Larger pcs-6-8 hours.

I don't brine chicken overnight. Whole chicken, maybe 6-8 hours and pcs. Same as pork pcs.

Favorite brine I use: to 1 qt. water/1/4 cup kosher salt/2 T. Each brown& gran. Sugar. Just swish all together, you don't have to heat, dissolve, cool. Whisking will do a good job of dissolving the salt.

Add any herbs, seasoning you want, but I rarely do, because I normally am adding flavors with how it's being cooked.

Rinse well, pat dry and go for it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Questions regarding brining meats, poultry, etc. by cjs (Well, a dissenting v...)
Thanks everyone for your input.

Denise, I don't brine pork tenderloin either. Doesn't need it. We used a piece of "pork loin" around 3 lbs. and brined it because it can be dry if only a little bit overcooked.

Jean, it is your recipe that I use for brining. I think that my mistake might have been brining too long. Next time, I won't brine overnight.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."