Monday's Dinner, 9/22/14??
  Re: (...)
I'm loving this sunshine and the humidity was barely noticeable yesterday!!

What's on the menu for everyone today??

I'm doing some cooking - finally finishing the 'cheap & dirty' method for 'smoky' bacon and roasting a chicken for some quick dinners later.

But we're eating the last of the braised beef (braised with beef broth, can of refried beans and jalapeno- great gravy) with some noodles.

I'm needing to get busy on 'indigenous' food cooking, I'm lagging behind. Later we'll have a 'Victory Bun' using spam that we picked up at the Spam Museum in Minnesota.

Please don't gag, but..............
spam, cubed processed cheese, hard-cooked egg, mayo on a hot dog bun.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday's Dinner, 9/22/14?? by cjs (I'm loving this suns...)
I am making that Food & Wine warm quinoa/chicken/avocado/fennel salad with an fresh orange juice/basil dressing that I posted last week.
  Re: Monday's Dinner, 9/22/14?? by cjs (I'm loving this suns...)
Garlic shrimp with a side salad. His glucose levels are climbing again...can't figure out why because we have not changed a thing in his diet, he is exercising more and continues to lose weight. Hmmmmm
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 9/22/14?? by Roxanne 21 (Garlic shrimp with a...)
Jean, that sounds like one of those old time recipes from the 60's that my mom used to make.

Not sure what we're doing for dinner just yet. Ron is on vacation for two weeks, so meals will be rather spontaneous. Might be going out tonight.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 9/22/14?? by Roxanne 21 (Garlic shrimp with a...)
Quote:

His glucose levels are climbing again...can't figure out why because we have not changed a thing in his diet, he is exercising more and continues to lose weight. Hmmmmm

Roxanne - does he eat or drink anything with artificial sweeteners in it?
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 9/22/14?? by Trixxee ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
So, what are you and Ron up to for the next two weeks?? Last minute cruise???

Sorry to hear that, Roxanne - you two are sure having a difficult time keeping all in check.

The spam thing does sound like a 50s or 60s things, doesn't it???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 9/22/14?? by Trixxee ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Absolutely NOT!!!! He used to do the sucralose for his sweetener in coffee etc. but when I researched a bit NO GO!!! We went to Stevia---a natural plant extract and that works beautifully. I am thinking that we may have to increase his Metformin a bit---UGHHHH We will contact the MD tomorrow and see what he advises. Keep fingers crossed that we don't have to do the insulin route----NIGHTMARE because we will be totally devastated... we have been working so very hard to avoid that.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 9/22/14?? by Roxanne 21 (Absolutely NOT!!!! ...)
My son just did a little research paper on the effects of artificial sweeteners - bad stuff man! I haven't had a diet soda or sugar free hazelnut creamer since. I got used to just adding half and half to my coffee and just lemon juice to iced tea.

I hope you guys can get him dialed in.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 9/22/14?? by Trixxee (My son just did a li...)
Roxanne, I really admire your determination not to go the insulin route. That takes a great deal of discipline.

Jean, we're still looking at last minute cruises for next Sat. If only we could decent airfare! Might have to pass for this vacation, but we do have one already booked for Easter.

It got cold here, so spaghetti and Italian sausage sounded good. Have some fresh veggies roasting in the oven as a side, and a good loaf of Italian bread.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 9/22/14?? by Mare749 (Roxanne, I really ad...)
Roxanne, I hope you can solve the mystery. My mom is balancing her glucose with diet, as well. Good luck!

Jean, the boys think your Spam dinner sounds good! LOL!

Maryann, we are on a similar wave length again. I'm doing Italian Sausage tonight, also. But Jean will especially appreciate our dinner. We are having (what's the Italian guy from Carrie, NC that was so interesting of a storyteller?) Italian Sausage with potatoes, onions, and peppers. The boys are excited!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.