Chachere's Grilled Onion - Review
  Re: (...)
After a day spent with our new friends; this morning Jim brought over some seasonings for me to try: a spicy dry rub for ribs, which I will use and make a Kentucky/Southern type vinegar sauce keeping true to his roots. He also gave me a sample of Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning to use on burgers. I should be able to find it in this neck of the woods to buy, but I’ve never seen it on the west coast. Have any of you out in this neck of the woods know of this product??

Besides flavoring a burger, he also told me how to make a grilled onion that he and Donna love –
[Image: Sept23grillingonionhalves1_zpsce98f2f3.jpg]

[Image: Sept23Grillingonionhalves2_zps1810ee55.jpg]

Cut an onion in half (between stem ends) without peeling. Rub the onion with a little olive oil and grill over medium heat cut side down for about 18-20 minutes until you have a nice char; carefully turn over and situate so the cut side of the onion is level on the grill. Top each half with a dollop of butter and sprinkle liberally with Tony’s Chachere’s seasoning (I was a little shy with it and will certainly use more next time).

Grill for another 12-15 minutes. Because I can’t get away from the heat source on my camping grill, I jerry-rigged with my fire bricks and an oven rack and finished the onion, after the 12-15 minutes, on the rack for an indirect cooking. All in all, the onion was perfectly cooked after a total of 50 minutes.

Have to say this was the best grilled onion I (and Roy) had ever tasted. This will be the go to method.

Jim’s idea for a burger has to be mentioned also – sprinkle with the Chachere’s
Seasoning (again, I was a little too stingy with it the first time using, again)and topped with Pepper Jack cheese…a little mustard and tomato and we were in heaven again!! But, the onion really was the star of the day!

[Image: Sept23CreoleBurgerwPepperJackandgrilledo...b5c5c1.jpg]

What a Dinner!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chachere's Grilled Onion - Review by cjs (After a day spent wi...)
Wow, does that look good! We have that seasoning here, Jean, so I will be sure to pick some up and not only try using it, but will get an extra for you when you finally come through here.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Chachere's Grilled Onion - Review by Mare749 (Wow, does that look ...)
I found some at the Safeway that I shop at. Here's what it looks like.

[Image: 1_zps8d4f63d6.jpg]
  Re: Re: Chachere's Grilled Onion - Review by losblanos1 (I found some at the ...)
Oh my gosh - that looks so great! The creole seasoning is available everywhere here - probably even at Target and Walmart.

Is that focaccia bread the burger is on?
  Re: Re: Chachere's Grilled Onion - Review by Trixxee (Oh my gosh - that lo...)
That does look delicious! I tend to steer away from seasoning blends unless I have a specific reason to try them. I now have a reason to try this one!!
  Re: Re: Chachere's Grilled Onion - Review by karyn (That does look delic...)
Jean. Have used it for years. It's available out here
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Chachere's Grilled Onion - Review by cjs (After a day spent wi...)
Oh Jean! You didn't know about Tony's? A friend of ours brought us back a container of it from Louisianna when he went down to work for FEMA after one of the big hurricanes down there (Katrina?). We fell in love with it and always have some on hand! I use it on veggies, burgers, chicken - all kinds of things, including Jambalaya and just whatever tickles me.

That onion looks amazing! I am going to have to do those. So does the burger . . . crap the kitchen sink is clogged and I have no idea what we're having for dinner . . . kitchen is all apart and all the pots & pans are stacked everywhere.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chachere's Grilled Onion - Review by Harborwitch (Oh Jean! You didn't...)
I'll be darned - I sure haven't run across it out there (west coast). Guess I won't have any trouble finding it then.

Yes, Trixxee, I used focaccia for the buns. We were still talking about the onion in bed last night.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chachere's Grilled Onion - Review by cjs (I'll be darned - I s...)
These are going on the grill . . . NOW!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chachere's Grilled Onion - Review by Harborwitch (These are going on t...)
Had to bring this up because Bill & Jane made them also - and here's their review:

It was the best we ever had. Things I had to adjust; my grill was too
hot, I grilled 10 min on each side, and 30 min in a 350 oven. It was
perfect, except, unlike you, I over seasoned!. It was still wonderful.
It is our go to onion, with reduced seasoning. Have a good time and
come to see us. Bill & Jane

My msg. back to them:
P.S. Just had a thought - if the weather is really bad, I guess charring the onion under the broiler, then top with butter and seasoning and bake it would work, too! I hadn't thought of using the oven, but what a good save for bad weather
www.achefsjourney.com