Chef Jose Andres & Virginia Wnes
  Re: (...)
Great article -

Virginia Wines

And, why didn't I think of this when we had oodles of grape vines??
"Out in the vineyards after the tasting, Andrés launched into an impromptu lesson about cooking with grape shoots: “The first time I ate them was in Ribera del Duero, in Spain. We made a salad. Or you make a scramble with eggs and ramps. See, you peel the shoot like this.” As we munched the raw shoots (sort of like very young asparagus, with a lemony tang),..."

I sure like him.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chef Jose Andres & Virginia Wnes by cjs (Great article -[br][...)
Jose Andreas has a show called "Made In Spain" on PBS. I really enjoyed it, but one day *poof* it was gone from my local affiliate. I hope that I don't offend anyone, but for heavens' sake-- they have a Martha Stewart cooking show and cancelled Jose Andreas' show... yeesh...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Chef Jose Andres & Virginia Wnes by foodfiend (Jose Andreas has a s...)
My sentiments exactly!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chef Jose Andres & Virginia Wnes by cjs (My sentiments exactl...)
I miss his show. What a great article. Jean, Barboursville is only 1/2 hr from us.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Chef Jose Andres & Virginia Wnes by Lorraine (I miss his show. Wh...)
Aha!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chef Jose Andres & Virginia Wnes by cjs (Aha! [img]/ubbthread...)
Here you go, Jean. Many of the wineries are less than an hour away from us.

http://www.monticellowinetrail.org

http://theappellationtrail.com/
  Re: Re: Chef Jose Andres & Virginia Wnes by Lorraine (Here you go, Jean. ...)
Yeah, I regret not picking up any of the local wines.

ETA: But hey! I do have a bottle of Cardinal Point Vineyard Cabernet Franc 2006 that we picked up coming back from Oak Ridge, TN from seeing my niece rowing in the School Boy Rowing National Champs (SRAA now)from the high school where I started the Girl's team in '76.

We stayed outside of the Shenandoah Valley for the night at a restaurant that featured these wines. They're part of the Monticello Wine Trail.

So it was bottled in 2006. We each had a glass at dinner and bought a bottle. As I recall it had a bit more tannins that I would like. So when should I uncork this baby? This is what I do not know about wines.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Chef Jose Andres & Virginia Wnes by BarbaraS (Yeah, I regret not p...)
Barbara, you should email the winery and ask them this question. So much depends on the quality of the grapes and the kind of wine (I've never had a cabernet franc) when it comes to cellaring.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Chef Jose Andres & Virginia Wnes by foodfiend (Barbara, you should ...)
Thanks Lorraine - these are added to my 'little black book'

Vicci's idea is a good one - I'm thinking they'll say not to keep a cab franc much longer. If you're not sure what to serve it with, that is another good question for them.

I like cab franc with most meats and salmon, and strong cheeses, a charcuterie platter would be great.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chef Jose Andres & Virginia Wnes by cjs (Thanks Lorraine - th...)
charcuterie

I didn't know what that word meant until yesterday! I guess that, since we don't eat red meat, I didn't need to... but a friend was making a chicken gizzard confit and was going to use it in her charcuterie. So I looked it up, and now here it is again!
Vicci

my cooking adventures