Wednesday's Dinner, 10/1/14??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

Finally doing my own K.C. ribs today with a favorite dry rub, but I'll use a K.C.BBQ sauce to finish off. Corn on the cob and another of grilled onions that I tried a week or so ago that was so good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/1/14?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Probably a stir-fry. We are exhausted, having spent the last several days working outside on the house (since the weather has been warm and dry)-- my brain is mush and my energy level is decreasing by the hour. I have chicken breasts and veggies, and it will be easy to put together. Maybe I'll put a Thai "spin" on it and use a fish sauce seasoning, fresh Thai basil, chopped peanuts...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/1/14?? by foodfiend (Probably a stir-fry....)
Kung Pao Chicken, jasmine rice and stir fried napa cabbage. I will disclose the fact that the chicken is a frozen entree from Trader Joe's. I am anticipating a busy homework night and this is just what the doctor ordered.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/1/14?? by Trixxee (Kung Pao Chicken, ja...)
my cheap & dirty smoking is going on with my ribs - couldn't chance the weather to do this in the grill... (Have never heard such loud thunder!!)

Also, have the slow cooker going with the goop for Iowa's Maid-Rite sandwiches.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/1/14?? by cjs (my cheap & dirty smo...)
Thai chicken with peanut noodles and pineapple rice tonight.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/1/14?? by losblanos1 (Thai chicken with pe...)
CHEESEBURGERS!!!! We are going to cheat a little bit
I have been craving a burger for a VERY long time.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/1/14?? by Roxanne 21 (CHEESEBURGERS!!!! ...)
A little change up in plans, this storm going thru was not going to allow me the time to grill a Creole onion and also finish off the ribs on the grill, so we had one of Iowa's favorite foods - Maid-Rite Sandwiches.

I probably would have liked this in the 50s, but we're so far past this, that it was just kind of o.k. I'm glad I tried it tho. I have leftover meat, but no 2nds of this, I'll probably add it to chili or something.

[Image: Oct1Maid-RiteSandwichIowa_zpsdaf3ac27.jpg]

For those not familiar with this sandwich:
"According to Maid-Rite Corp. “In 1926, way back before Facebook, and even before TV, people just didn't know how to waste time. But, being really bored paid off for butcher Fred Angell. He worked to get just the right combination of a special cut and grind of meat and a selected blend of spices. When a deliveryman tasted Fred's new creation, he said, "This sandwich is made right. With that, the Maid-Rite was born.”

The classic Maid-Rite is a loose meat sandwich made with seasoned, tender slow-cooked ground beef served on a warm slightly sweetened bun. First of all, it is definitely NOT a sloppy joe. It is an unformed burger, featuring beef slow cooked in seasoning liquid leaving you with tender seasoned beef. Simply served on a warm slightly sweet bun.

I’m going with an Iowa native’s way of enjoying the sandwich – with cheddar cheese, onion, pickle and ketchup (which is a recent addition to the traditional)."
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/1/14?? by cjs (A little change up i...)
It looks like we're on the stir-fry bandwagon, too. I'm doing one with chicken, veggies and topped with toasted nuts.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/1/14?? by karyn (It looks like we're ...)
Went to the West Side Market today. Got some nice fish for the grill and some asparagus. Also made the grilled onions that Jean posted the other day and they were fabulous. Had those with a couple of homemade pierogis. (from the market) What a feast!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 10/1/14?? by Mare749 (Went to the West Sid...)
darn, and I think my grill's going to be in the back of the truck for the next few days - have never driven thru such heavy rain, with lightening and thunder leading us on. No grilling onions for us.

I think we have found Deliverance, also!!!!
www.achefsjourney.com