Thai butternut squash soup
  Re: (...)
I got this recipe from Tammy, it is so good I had to share. A few tweaks I did you may be interested in: add sliced chicken thighs pan fried with curry paste and half an onion. Use coconut water and a tablespoon of half and half. Served with my hacked Naan/Pita breads
Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon canola oil
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 2 1/2 teaspoons red curry paste
• 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
• 1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
• 2 teaspoons brown sugar
• 2 (12-ounce) packages frozen pureed butternut squash
• 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
• 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
• 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
• 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges

Directions

1. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add curry paste, garlic, and ginger; sauté 45 seconds, stirring constantly.
2. Add broth and next 5 ingredients (through salt); cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Place half of squash mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture. Spoon about 1 cup soup into each of 4 bowls; top with 2 tablespoons peanuts and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Wished it made more!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Thai butternut squash soup by farnfam (I got this recipe fr...)
Sounds really really good. I sure wish the d@#& deer hadn't eaten my butternut squash plant, but this is definitely going on the menu!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Thai butternut squash soup by Harborwitch (Sounds really really...)
And, I just love 'hacked Naan'

Tell Tammy hi for me, Cis - wish she would stop by once in a while. I hope her life is happy.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thai butternut squash soup by cjs (And, I just love 'ha...)
Will do, Jean. She promised to stop by and check out the thread.
I almost forgot to tell you the method if you want to use a fresh squash (instead of the frozen).
Cut squash in half, cover halves with wax paper, nuke for 8min, cool 2 min, nuke for 9 more. Scoops right out!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Thai butternut squash soup by cjs (And, I just love 'ha...)
Thanks for the recipe, Cis. It sounds great. I have had something similar at a Thai restaurant and really loved it.

I am wondering about the "lite" coconut milk, having only seen regular coconut milk or coconut water. What brand did you find?

Say hi to Tammy for us and tell her to stop in!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thai butternut squash soup by Mare749 (Thanks for the recip...)
I'm here! I've been lurking....lol. Hi everyone!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Thai butternut squash soup by TwilightKitten (I'm here! I've been ...)
Mare, I can never find coconut milk here but I found coconut water at Aldi and added a tbsp of 1/2n1/2 for a sub. I think it was better really and didn't "cream out" the other awesome flavors
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Thai butternut squash soup by TwilightKitten (I'm here! I've been ...)
Tammy, so nice to SEE you! Hope you will stick around and tell us what other great recipes you have been trying.

ETA: Thanks Cis. Might have to do that.

#2 ETA: Thanks Tammy. That sounds even better.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thai butternut squash soup by farnfam (Mare, I can never fi...)
I used a full fat coconut milk and added more fish sauce and more red curry paste.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Thai butternut squash soup by TwilightKitten (I used a full fat co...)
This soup is so good! And so perfect for fall!
Cis
Empress for Life