Anyone here work with Master Stock, yet?
  Re: (...)
Master Stock is a Chinese thing.

They make a braising liquid that includes soy sauce, Shoaxing, ginger, rock sugar, etc., use it to, braise or poach meats, then keep reusing it for successive poaching or braising. This builds up and reinforces the flavours of the stock each time, thus adding more and more flavour to the meat that is cooked in it.

HERE is a link to the recipe for Neil Perry's Master Stock (the same batch of which one of his restaurants has used for more than seven years, so far).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Anyone here work with Master Stock, yet? by labradors (Master Stock is a Ch...)
Amazing that they have intensified their stock for seven years! I bet it's good!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anyone here work with Master Stock, yet? by Gourmet_Mom (Amazing that they ha...)
I've had too much wine watching Florian on Beat Bobby Flay to give this the attention it needs - will come back to it.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anyone here work with Master Stock, yet? by cjs (I've had too much wi...)
Is this similar to the XO sauce ?
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Anyone here work with Master Stock, yet? by mjkcooking (Is this similar to t...)
That sounds really interesting!
  Re: Re: Anyone here work with Master Stock, yet? by karyn (That sounds really i...)
The idea kind of creeps me out in a way.
  Re: Re: Anyone here work with Master Stock, yet? by Trixxee (The idea kind of cre...)
XO is an actual sauce, from Hong Kong, made from dried scallops, shrimp and fish.

Master Stock is the liquid used for poaching meat. It's boiled and skimmed after each use.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Anyone here work with Master Stock, yet? by labradors (XO is an actual sauc...)
No, and before now, didn't really know what it was. How fascinating though. Can you imagine the intense flavor in that stuff?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Anyone here work with Master Stock, yet? by labradors (Master Stock is a Ch...)
Interesting article Labs.

Today's Philly Inquirer has a food review for a Chinese restaurant that relocated to South Jersey after being in Philly's Chinatown area for quite a while. The food editor, Craig LaBan, mentions how Chun Chu always has a pot of pure chicken broth that simmers on a back burner that almost never goes out.

I've had take out from there and his food is really good. The Cold Cucumber in Chili Oil appy is so totally addictive.

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/..._BYOB.html

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Anyone here work with Master Stock, yet? by BarbaraS (Interesting article ...)
The complexity of flavors must be outstanding.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com