Sunday Dinner, 10/19/14??
  Re: (...)
What's for dinner today??

I have so much food in the fridge, I barely have to cook for the next few days! Special treat this a.m., tho - a Sunday Champagne brunch with pumpkin waffles and ham.

Later, we'll have fajitas with leftover steak (best steak I've had in a restaurant in the longest time!!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday Dinner, 10/19/14?? by cjs (What's for dinner to...)
My girls are helping me put together a little party to have in the community room at the hospital. Browns are playing at 1:00 and most of the family (except me) are football fans. I really need to learn the game so I can get as excited as they do.

So, we are taking in veggies and dip, party spirals and whatever else the girls pick up at Costco.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 10/19/14?? by Mare749 (My girls are helping...)
Sounds like great fun, Maryann....great distraction for the family and the ability to spend time with FIL enjoying a football game. How good is that?

Used to be a huge fan of the Patriots. It is really an easy game to understand. I had the advantage of learning the game through a marching band when we entertained at half time during the high school games. Seems like forever ago (because it was!!!)

Now rugby is another matter

OOPS---forgot to add that we are having fried chicken with corn on the cob and a salad. Would love some coleslaw but don't have the ingredients. Confusedad:
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 10/19/14?? by Roxanne 21 (Sounds like great fu...)
A tailgate party at the hospital, how cool.

Today I'm making Chinese almond chicken with a side of asparagus.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 10/19/14?? by losblanos1 (A tailgate party at ...)
Mom decided to thaw out three pounds of pork butt we had in the freezer and asked if I'd be interested in using it for a stew.

WAS I!

Of course!

On my suggestion, I'm going to make the wonderful Asian-Spiced Pork Stew with Scallion Pancakes recipe that Billy originally posted and that we made in the forum for my birthday dinner in 2010.

Actually, that's going to be for tomorrow night, but we're getting the ingredients ready (and my mom is going to the store, right now), so I wanted to mention it.

Also, since the stew calls for two pounds of pork and the piece that we took out of the freezer is a little over three pounds, I'm going to use the remainder of it to make the Traditional Thai Red Curry. More yums!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 10/19/14?? by labradors (Mom decided to thaw ...)
We are doing a flat iron steak, grilled onions, , and battered squash. Can't wait!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 10/19/14?? by Old Bay (We are doing a flat...)
another day when everything sounds so good!!

Maryann, I have a funny story (well, we all know I'm a little sick ) about hospital and football. I was in ICU hooked up like you couldn't believe and we (Roy & I) were choosing our games for the games on a Sunday morning and all of a sudden nurses came running in to find out why my monitors were going crazy.....I thought they were going to throw Roy out of the hospital. Needless to say I couldn't pick my teams for awhile!!

Great brunch this morning, but I think I could make better pumpkin waffles - will work on the recipe.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 10/19/14?? by cjs (another day when eve...)
Maryann, what a great way to spend the afternoon!

Bill, is that a typo or are you really battering your squash? That hit me as funny.

I'm finally making the Chow Mein recipe. Sadly, no mung beans. Cook's Thesaurus said not to sub with canned? But to use snow peas? Not sure about that?

Blane, I hope I have the right recipe? Chow Mein
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 10/19/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (Maryann, what a grea...)
That's the recipe Daphne. I substitute spaghetti (3-4oz) for the dry wonton noodles. Cook spaghetti according to the package, drain, then pan fry in 1 tablespoon oil for a few minutes. Set aside while you cook the rest. The bean sprouts aren't totally necessary. Good luck!
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 10/19/14?? by losblanos1 (That's the recipe Da...)
Thanks, Blane!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.