milled balck pepper
canola or sunflower oild for frying

To Serve
sliced smoked salmon
lemon wedges
milled black pepper
sour cream or creme fraiche
caviar and capers

First make the Salmon twirls. Cut the salmon slices into long strips about 1 inch wide. Twirl each slice into a loose spiral, place on a plate, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate, Put the ricotta, Parmesan, egg yolks and milk into a large bowl and beat with a whisk. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix to a batter. Stir in the chives and season with pepper. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and then fold into the mixture. Heat 1 TBS oil in a large non stick frying pan. Drop tablespoons of the batter into the pan and cook for 1 minute, or until thew bottom edges turn golden brown. Flip over and cook for another minute, or until the hotcakes are puffed and their edges look set. Watch them like a hawk as they burn quickly. Keep warm.

Arrange the hotcakes on a platter and top each with a salmon twirl. I just scatter some of them around the cakes because salmon can be a bit overpowering. Serve immediately with side dishes of sour cream, capers, caviar and lemon wedges.. I do not serve capers and caviar is certainly NOT necessary for these delicious gems.

Makes about 24 hotcakes.
A crisp delicate crust and a hot oozy filling make these guys really YUMMY!!!!

SCRUMPTIOUS
FOOD FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS

by Jane-Anne Hobbs (one of our local chefs)

If any one needs the ricotta cheese recipe, I will be more than happy to post.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Ricotta and Chive Hotcakes with Smoked Salmon Twir by Roxanne 21 (Ricotta and Salmon H...)
Thanks for posting this, Roxanne! Oh for my smoker and my own smoked salmon..... but, maybe I'll try this with some commercial smoked salmon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ricotta and Chive Hotcakes with Smoked Salmon Twir by cjs (Thanks for posting t...)
Thanks Roxanne. Can't wait to try this.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Ricotta and Chive Hotcakes with Smoked Salmon Twir by Roxanne 21 (Ricotta and Salmon H...)
WOW! Thank you for sharing! This sounds right up our alley. I have decided, after trying dairy free cheese, that I'd rather take a lactase pill than the alternative. Cake flour is very low in gluten so I think I can make this work.

I'm so glad we have our smoker! Now a piece of salmon and we're ready to go.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Ricotta and Chive Hotcakes with Smoked Salmon Twir by Harborwitch (WOW! Thank you for ...)
brag, brag, brag................
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ricotta and Chive Hotcakes with Smoked Salmon Twir by cjs (brag, brag, brag.......)
Smoker envy! LOL! Poor Jean!

Thanks for sharing, Roxanne! This sounds awesome! Copied and saved!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.