CRANBERRY TIME!!
  Re: (...)
It is Cranberry time and Denise reminded me when she mentioned her 10 lbs. that she'll be working with - since I can't do much this year, except small batches of goodies, I thought you all might enjoy some ideas for the holidays coming up.

Lorraine, I haven't gotten many recipes from you lately........just sayin'

So, how about you all and your favorites? I also have my favorite cranberry bread that I like to use for canapés...somewhere here.

* Exported from MasterCook *

RUBY RED SORBET

Recipe By :2003 APPRENTICESHIP DINNER
Serving Size : 200

9 pounds sugar
20 pounds cranberries -- fresh or frozen, rinsed
1 1/4 gallons orange juice -- fresh
1 1/4 gallons ruby port
1 1/4 cups orange zest -- finely minced

1. Over high heat, place 1 1/4 gal. water and the sugar & bring to rolling boil, stirring occasionally.
2. Boil for 3 min., then add the cranberries.
3. Lower heat to med. & cook for 5-8 min., till the berries soften slightly.
4. Remove pan from heat & allow to cool slightly.
5. Transfer the cranberry sauce to food processor & process till smooth adding the o.j. and port.
6. Remove from process, stir in zest, and refrigerate till very cold.
7. Freeze the sorbet.
8. If freezing in pan, freeze till sold, scoop out into the bowl of processor & process it till it breaks up.
9. Pack it back into the pan and let harden again.
10. Repeat as often as necessary to get it to the right texture as each time you process the sorbet will get a little more air into it & improve the texture.

--------------

CRANBERRY CHUTNEY - Lorraine

2 tsp vegetable oil -- (10 ml)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion -- (125 ml)
1 Tbsp minced peeled ginger -- (15 ml)
2 garlic cloves -- minced
2 1/2 cups cranberries about 10 oz (300g) bag -- (625 ml)
1 medium apple -- peeled, cored and roughly chopped
3/4 cup brown sugar -- (175 ml)
1/2 cup apple cider -- (75 ml)
1/4 cup cider vinegar -- (50 ml)
1/2 tsp salt -- (2ml)
1/4 tsp ground ginger i use 1 Tbsp fresh grated -- (1 ml)
1 Pinch hot red chili flakes
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oinion, ginger, and garlic, cook for several minutes until softened slightly. Add remaining ingredients.

Cover, increase heat and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 25 - 35 minutes, or until chutney has thickened. Let cool.

Makes 2 cups.

I quadruple the batch, sterilize 250 ml jars, add hot chutney to hot jar, process in water bath 10 minutes.

I let it sit a week or two before using. Hope you like it!!

freeze it also - will keep in frig for a month or more.

Description:
"Lorraine posted this 11/25/06" "http://forums.chef2chef.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=481678&an=0&page=0#481678"
-------------------

CRANBERRY-APPLE CHUTNEY - LORRAINE

I made this one to give away as gifts last Christmas. Now, I always have some on hand. It goes well with chicken , turkey, duck, pork. I used it on the cheese and fruit platter last weekend.

2 tsp (10 ml) vegetable oil
1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp (15 ml) minced peeled ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 cups (625 ml) cranberries about 10 oz (300g) bag
1 medium apple, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
3/4 cup (175 ml) brown sugar
1/2 cup (75 ml) apple cider
1/4 cup (50 ml) cider vinegar
1/2 tsp (2ml) salt
1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground ginger i use 1 Tbsp fresh grated
Pinch of hot red chili flakes
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oinion, ginger, and garlic, cook for several minutes until softened slightly. Add remaining ingredients.

Cover, increase heat and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 25 - 35 minutes, or until chutney has thickened. Let cool.

Makes 2 cups.

I quadruple the batch, sterilize 250 ml jars, add hot chutney to hot jar, process in water bath 10 minutes.

Fincher
what do the two gingers do? I have never used fresh and dry ginger in the same dish, does it provide a differant flavor profile?

Lorraine
I've done it with both. I find the dried ginger more subtle. I really like the taste of the fresh, and actually add more than recipe calls for. This is a recipe you can really play around with. As are most chutneys.

-----------------------

BRISKET with CRANBERRY GRAVY

I used to do this one a lot while Personal cheffing and I still love the flavors!!

1 2 1/2 lb. Beef Brisket -- not corned
1/2 teaspoon salt
16 ounces Cranberry Sauce -- Whole Berry
15 ounces tomato sauce
1/2 cup chopped onion

Rub the brisket with salt and pepper and place in a 10" skillet.

In a bowl, mix the Cranberry and tomato sauces together; add the onion and combine.

Pour over the brisket, put over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.

Stir, reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 ½ to 2 hours or until fork tender.

Remove to a platter, tent loosely with foil and let rest 10 minutes. To carve, slice against the grain and serve with the sauce on the side.

Description:
"Slices of the brisket are so tasty served with scalloped potatoes or mashed potatoes and drizzled with the cranberry/tomato 'gravy'."

-----------------
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: CRANBERRY TIME!! by cjs (It is Cranberry time...)
And here I was thinking about a simple cranberry sauce

GEEZ Jean---can't you keep it SIMPLE????

Harvest on Nantucket this time of year...never done the cranberry thing but some of those recipes are something I would tackle. CRANBERRIES???? In South AFRICA??? DUHHHH!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: CRANBERRY TIME!! by Roxanne 21 (And here I was think...)
I think most who like cranberries already have their favorite sauce, so I stayed away from them. I love cranberries!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: CRANBERRY TIME!! by cjs (I think most who lik...)
I'm making cranberry ketchup today to can and then my simple whole cranberry sauce.

Cranberry Ketchup
11 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
2 cups chopped onions
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups water
3 cups lightly packed brown sugar
1 cup vinegar
2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

COMBINE cranberries, onions, garlic and water in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently for 6 to 10 minutes, until cranberries pop and become soft.

TRANSFER mixture to a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade, working in batches, and purée until smooth.
RETURN mixture to saucepan. Add brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, cloves, salt, black pepper, allspice and cayenne. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture is almost the consistency of commercial ketchup, about 30 minutes.

This will make about 8 1/2 jars or 4 pint jars