T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/24/14??
  Re: (...)
What's for dinner today??

We've heard nothing but rave reviews for the burgers at a little 'joint' right next to this RV park, so we're going over and try it out today.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/24/14?? by cjs (What's for dinner to...)
From issue #108(Dec 2014), I'm making the pork au poivre with thyme-gruyere potatoes and asparagus.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/24/14?? by losblanos1 (From issue #108(Dec ...)
Something soft as Tony is having a tooth extracted in a couple of hours. I was thinking of picking up some wor wonton soup from the Chinese restaurant.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/24/14?? by Trixxee (Something soft as To...)
Steak, baked potato and salad.

The apple pie DID NOT raise his glucose level...go figure
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/24/14?? by Roxanne 21 (Steak, baked potato ...)
Oh, Oh, Peter's going to remember that, Roxanne!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/24/14?? by cjs (Oh, Oh, Peter's goin...)
Oh my, Roxanne! You're in trouble now!

Cricket and I are going to clean out the fridge. William is hunting and entertaining friends at the farm tonight.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/24/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (Oh my, Roxanne! You...)
Jean, did the "burger joint" live up to its reputation?

I made a Thai chicken stir-fry tonight since we probably have only a week of fresh Thai basil left. A frost is a'coming. Alas.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/24/14?? by foodfiend (Jean, did the "burge...)
The burger was great! And, what an afternoon our outing for the burger turned out to be. The park owner has been working with Roy on a problem with the propane and stopped to see if all was well. He sat down and started chatting and when he found out I was a retired cook he told us his story of the park and the little café.

Seems when they bought the park a year ago, the financial person told them if they wanted to open the café they would have to run it, not hire people. So, Ruth, the other half of the owners who is a Registered nurse by trade turned in her nurses uniform and took over the kitchen with a couple months help from the previous owner. Ruth had never had any experience in a professional kitchen, but was a wonderful cook by all accounts.

He left and came back a couple hours later with Ruth in tow and we all chatted for couple of hours and introduced her to Tobin James wine (which she loves- and in addition to all the new cooking she is doing, is teaching herself to make wine!!)

I can't tell you how impressed I am with what this gal has done with her café. She is now baking all her breads (not the burger buns yet, but that will come), does all the pastry/cookies/muffins, makes all homemade soups, yadda, yadda, yadda!!

She has a core group who eat at the café almost daily and they are her testers. She is constantly trying new dishes to add to the menu and these folks judge them for her.

What wonderful people she and her husband are. If I were 20 years younger, I think I'd stay here and cook with her for a while!

And, she bought a whole set of my books!! She devours cookbooks like we do. But, she really puts them to good use now.

Sorry for rambling on so, but you did ask, Vicci.....
Here's a look at the set up they have -
Stagecoach Campground
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/24/14?? by cjs (The burger was great...)
Last week, my mom made some burgers that had gorgonzola and we still had some gorgonzola left. We also had a single cube steak left in the freezer from a package that had contained an odd number, so I made a gorgonzola-cream sauce, cut the cube steak into straps, sautéed some cremini mushrooms with a splash of Marsala and served it all over some spaghetti. Yum!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/24/14?? by labradors (Last week, my mom ma...)
My kind of dish!! sounds tasty
www.achefsjourney.com