Recipe for German Bee Sting Cake?
  Re: (...)
We went out for dinner last night and shared this yummy dessert. We took a second slice to the hospital to share with FIL who finally got meal restrictions lifted. He loved it, so I'm on a mission to find the best recipe for this. There are several out there, but I would really love an authentic German recipe for this.

[Image: 1367415182_dsc_0015-2_zps25a780b7.jpg]

Here is the description from Wiki: Bienenstich or Bee sting cake is a German dessert made of a sweet yeast dough with a baked-on topping of caramelized almonds and filled with a vanilla custard, Buttercream or cream.

The cake may have earned its name from its honey topping: according to one legend, a bee was attracted to it, and the baker who invented the cake was stung.

Another source cites a legend of German bakers from the 15th century who lobbed beehives at raiders from a neighboring village, successfully repelling them, and celebrated later by baking a version of this cake named after their efforts.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Recipe for German Bee Sting Cake? by Mare749 (We went out for dinn...)
Isn't that lovely! I love to try that . . .
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Recipe for German Bee Sting Cake? by Harborwitch (Isn't that lovely! ...)
I have some folks to pass this around to, Maryann. Will get back to you. It sure looks like a light and delightful dessert!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Recipe for German Bee Sting Cake? by cjs (I have some folks to...)
That looks so good. Boy, the Germans sure know what they are doing when it comes to desserts. I am half German, but definitely missing the dessert making gene.

Glad your FIL got to indulge a bit, Maryann.
  Re: Re: Recipe for German Bee Sting Cake? by Trixxee (That looks so good. ...)
That is beautiful!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Recipe for German Bee Sting Cake? by Gourmet_Mom (That is beautiful!...)
We were very glad that he was allowed to indulge.

The best way I can describe this is that it really did taste a lot like a cream puff. The "bready" part was only slightly sweet and the filling was a pudding-like pastry cream and it wasn't overly sweet either. The sweetest part was the crust on top that was glazed with honey and almonds.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Recipe for German Bee Sting Cake? by Mare749 (We were very glad th...)
The cake sounds wonderful. Happy you FIL could enjoy it. I've always had good luck with her recipes so: here's one .
  Re: Re: Recipe for German Bee Sting Cake? by Cubangirl (The cake sounds wond...)
I've also had good luck with her recipes. Can't remember off the top of my head - will look, tho.

Hope it works for you! Was this second stroke not as bad as the first?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Recipe for German Bee Sting Cake? by cjs (I've also had good l...)
Thanks Alina!! Bookmarked that one!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Recipe for German Bee Sting Cake? by BarbaraS (Thanks Alina!! Book...)
I've used several of hers successfully, also. It looks like she did her research and numerous trials to get it right. She didn't say if her mother pronounced it close to what she grew up with. I assume she did or SittenKitchen wouldn't have posted, I don't think. Good luck Maryann!

Glad to hear FIL is improving!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.