For Old Bay--need recipe please?
  Re: (...)
Bill, could I please have your recipe for Jewish brisket?
Please and thank you!!!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: For Old Bay--need recipe please? by Mare749 (Bill, could I please...)
Home tomorrow. Will respond!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: For Old Bay--need recipe please? by Old Bay (Home tomorrow. Will...)
Jewish Brisket
1T salt
1T fresh ground black black pepper
1T paprika
2T each, dried oregano & thyme
One 5 lb trimmed brisket, flat cut.
3T lard
2c chicken stock
1c dry vermouth
1 28 oz can chopped
2 bay leaves
3 med onions, peeled and thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Combine first four ingredients and rub all over brisket.
3. Heat oil or bacon grease in heavy, large pot over med high heat. Add brisket and brown on both sides, about 10 min per side. Transfer brisket to platter and pour off fat. Add stock, vermouth, tomatoes and bay leaf to pot and scrape up any bits with a wooden spoon. Return brisket to pot with accumulated juices, scatter onions and garlic over the top of the brisket. Cover and place pot in oven, braise for one hour..
4. Uncover, add Vegis of choice, large pieces of celery, carrots, small red potatoes,quartered onions,or pearl onions, etc.. Cover pot, return to oven and continue to braise up to two hours, checking meat and Vegis over time for tenderness..
5. Transfer brisket to cutting board and cover with foil. Remove large cooked Vegis from pot. If remaining juices are thin transfer to stove and reduce five min or so until thickened,. Slice beef across the grain , serve sauce over and Vegis around . Discard bay leaves. Enjoy.

Re: Re: For Old Bay--need recipe please? by Old Bay (Jewish Brisket[br]1T...)
Sounds really good on this rainy day!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: For Old Bay--need recipe please? by cjs (Sounds really good o...)
That DOES sound good! Thanks, Bill!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: For Old Bay--need recipe please? by Gourmet_Mom (That DOES sound good...)
Thank you, Bill! Wow. That's enough to make my mouth water. And, the funny thing is, I hardly ever eat beef and when I do it's in very small amounts. But that just sounds so good, and we now have the perfect weather for it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: For Old Bay--need recipe please? by Old Bay (Jewish Brisket[br]1T...)
OMG, I did that late last nite, meet should be meat, put on the oven should be "in" the oven. I'm not THAT bad a speller! Enjoy and take out the Vegis as they are to your taste.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: For Old Bay--need recipe please? by Old Bay (OMG, I did that late...)
(gotcha covered, Mr. Bill! )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com