Sunday's Dinner, 10/26/14??
  Re: (...)
What's for Sunday dinner for everyone??

Travel day for us - just to Little Rock, so not too far. I have leftover braised chicken (and 1 thigh left), so will cut the meat off and have that later.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday's Dinner, 10/26/14?? by cjs (What's for Sunday di...)
I'm not sure yet. I'm hoping someone will post something inspiring! We have had a great foodie weekend, however....Taste of Atlanta on Friday night and the Atlanta Craft Brewers' Festival yesterday....dinner tonight will need to be simple (and hopefully light)!
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 10/26/14?? by karyn (I'm not sure yet. I'...)
I cooked a roast last night to take to the hospital for another football party today. Ron Sr. is back on the rehab floor with no dietary restrictions, believe it or not.

So, dinner will be french dip sandwiches, mashed potatoes and gravy. The girls are bringing vegetables. Last night, I made a double batch of gingerbread. So, Ron Sr. gets to have his favorite meal today.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 10/26/14?? by Mare749 (I cooked a roast las...)
That's so great, Maryann - sounds so good, I want to join you'all!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 10/26/14?? by cjs (That's so great, Mar...)
Cheese Tortellini in Vodka Cream sauce.

ETA: Wow Maryann! That's great you can do that for your FIL! Sounds like a great hospital!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 10/26/14?? by BarbaraS (Cheese Tortellini in...)
WOOOOHAHHH Maryann--- Positive news is always great!

I'm doing corned beef and baby cabbage, carrots and potatoes.
Today was the first day of the year that we could swim in the pool due to the temp. We can usually go in first week of September. What a refreshing exercise that is. Must be global warming....

Barbara---why waste Vodka on a cream sauce??? Sounds interesting though---please post your recipe????
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 10/26/14?? by Roxanne 21 (WOOOOHAHHH Maryann...)
Love to hear good news like that Maryann!

Dinner tonight is left overs from the day before. Potato Leek soup. Lost power yesterday at 2:45pm and it didn't come back on till 9:50 so didn't want to open the fridge.
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 10/26/14?? by Roxanne 21 (WOOOOHAHHH Maryann...)
Roxanne,

I use Smirnoff which is inexpensive. It's really tasty - kinda like tomato soup for adults!

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup vodka
1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes (I put more in the bottom of my dish)
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
8 oz tomato sauce
1/2 of a 6 oz can tomato paste
1 cup heavy cream (I use half n half or just whole milk)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (I don't use this, didn't like the taste)

In a large saucepan melt butter over medium low heat; add vodka, red pepper flakes, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well and simmer for 5 minutes.

Blend in tomato sauce, tomato paste, and cream; increase heat to bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce has slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Reduce heat to very low and stir in cheese. Add 1 lb. cooked pasta and more cheese if desired.

-------
So what I do is make the sauce and let it simmer, cook the pasta to within two minutes of done, drain, then add the sauce to the pasta and finish cooking.

But watch how many times you're "tasting" the sauce!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 10/26/14?? by BarbaraS (Roxanne,[br][br]I us...)
Not entirely sure yet but maybe chili. Blane's picture looked so good the other day. If someone doesn't go to the store for the ingredients, we'll probably have salmon.
  Re: Re: Sunday's Dinner, 10/26/14?? by Trixxee (Not entirely sure ye...)
That's great news Maryann and French dips have healing powers. Yum!

I was going to make the mushroom wellington, but slid it out a couple of days. Tonight it's Southwestern tenderloin steaks with chipotle mashed potatoes and asparagus.