Tuesday's Dinner, 10/28/14??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

We of course have grilled flank steak leftover (wow, was it good!) so probably a stir fry - have to decide mine or Karyn's......

Today is my oldest friend's birthday and I so wish I could be in Hawaii with her!! Friends since the 4th grade when I moved to a new school and she took me under her wing. 1949-50
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/28/14?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Old friends are like a warm hug. And, I would like to be in Hawaii right now, too!

Dinner tonight will be a blast from the past. Once a year, I buy a cottage ham, put it in the slow cooker with potatoes and green beans and let it simmer all day. This is a meal my MIL used to make, so I'm hoping she will come home and have dinner with us tonight.

No dessert, but I keep thinking about that Bee Sting Cake!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/28/14?? by Mare749 (Old friends are like...)
I think I'm going to make the herbed salmon from the issue that just came out. Tony will grill it instead of roasting though.

Broccoli and not sure what the starch will be. Maybe some smashed red potatoes.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/28/14?? by Trixxee (I think I'm going to...)
Maryann, what is a 'cottage' ham??

Trixxee - is there a new issue I ought to be looking out for when we get our forwarded mail??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/28/14?? by cjs (Maryann, what is a '...)
Yes, issue 108 came in the mail yesterday. Not a whole lot jumping out at me yet - but I read through it really fast and usually as I re-read it I like more things. But the salmon looks really nice and light with fresh dill, chives and parsley.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/28/14?? by Trixxee (Yes, issue 108 came ...)
I made the pork au poivre from issue 108, but I subbed steak for the pork. It was delicious!

Tonight I'm making mushroom wellington and a veggie side, probably asparagus.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/28/14?? by cjs (Maryann, what is a '...)
Quote:

Maryann, what is a 'cottage' ham??

I'd like to know that too.

Tonight it's meatloaf, peas, mashed potatoes.

If it stops raining I'm going down to the restaurant kitchen and making Pumpkin frozen yogurt. We also need to get the pork bellies out of the cure and start forming the pellicle on the one we're going to smoke. The other one is in a "pancetta" cure and we'll be rolling hanging it for pancetta rather than smoking it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/28/14?? by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Raining like cats & dogs here - so depressing. So scrapped our plans to drive to Hot Springs. Instead went out in search of catfish. SUCCESS!!! Finally first time no deep fried 'nuggets' or 'tails' - beautifully lightly coated and fried filets. They were exceptional.

Brought 6 pcs. home plus some of the fried Okra - oh so good too. Even Roy liked them.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/28/14?? by cjs (Raining like cats & ...)
I've never heard of cottage ham either. Do tell, Maryann!

We're going out tonight. A restaurant that's within walking distance of our house is doing a dinner pairing some local beers with menu items. I have not idea what we'll get, but it sounded fun!
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 10/28/14?? by karyn (I've never heard of ...)
I think there's an error on this new salmon recipe. It calls for 2 salmon fillets, SKINNED. That means no skin, right? Then it says place salmon skin side down????