Cottage Ham with potatoes and green beans
  Re: (...)
[Image: shoulderbutt_zpseca406cb.jpg]

Here us a description from Schad's online meat store:

Old Fashioned Hickory Smoked Pork Shoulder (Cottage Ham)
Schad’s pork shoulder (boneless) is cut from the top end of the shoulder, know as the shoulder butt. It is often referred to as “Cottage Ham”. Technically it is not ham since it does not come from the hind leg.

Schad’s pork shoulder is cured in a salt and brown sugar brine overnight. The cured pork shoulder is then smoked by hanging over burning hickory wood chips in a smokehouse.

Schad’s pork shoulders are fully cooked and will weigh between 1 and 3 pounds.

Maryann's notes:
All I do is put the cottage ham in a slow cooker, add some whole red potatoes, and fresh green beans. You can also use frozen or canned, but we like fresh. Cover with about 4 cups of water and let it simmer all day. If you cook it on high, it will be done in 4-5 hours, and if you cook on low, 7-8 hours.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Cottage Ham with potatoes and green beans by Mare749 ([url=http://s116.pho...)
So this is a regional thing? Because this is not something I have ever heard of. Sounds really good though! Wonder if a regular smoked pork shoulder would work?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cottage Ham with potatoes and green beans by Gourmet_Mom (So this is a regiona...)
Aha! Funny, I've smoked this cut of pork, but didn't know what it was called. It was very good. I just called it 'poor man's bacon'

And, the beans are what we call 'overcooked green beans' that I grew up on - except it's beans with a ham hock or bacon and no potatoes. Interesting. Cooked for 4 or 5 hours -- page 108, a Chef's Journey...Home
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cottage Ham with potatoes and green beans by cjs (Aha! Funny, I've smo...)
No, not a regional thing at all. When I was looking for a description to post, what I found was that the name (cottage ham) seems to be most common in my area, but I'm sure the product is available anywhere.

This was normally a summer meal at Ron's house to use up all the green beans from the garden. Lois would also make a lot of vegetable soup and a baked tomato bread pudding that I always loved.
Maryann

Re: Re: Cottage Ham with potatoes and green beans by Mare749 (No, not a regional t...)
Elsewhere known as a "picnic" or "picnic ham." Technically not a ham, since ham, by definition, is the hind leg of the pig. Either way, the "cottage" versus "picnic" part is regional. I think I've heard Canadians call it "cottage roll."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cottage Ham with potatoes and green beans by labradors (Elsewhere known as a...)
Okay, I was not reading closely enough. Got it now! The name kept throwing me off. Picnic ham is what it's called here, but they are bone in.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cottage Ham with potatoes and green beans by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I was not read...)
We have picnic hams also, but they are larger than this boneless variety.
Maryann

Re: Re: Cottage Ham with potatoes and green beans by Mare749 (We have picnic hams ...)
Yea, it's the boneless part that threw me, but I'll keep an eye out for it.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cottage Ham with potatoes and green beans by Gourmet_Mom (Yea, it's the bonele...)
Daphne, my in-laws also like this dish with limas.
Maryann

Re: Re: Cottage Ham with potatoes and green beans by Mare749 (Daphne, my in-laws a...)
Oh my! I bet baby limas would be awesome cooked this way!!!
Daphne