Saturday's Dinner, 11/1/14??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

Besides Barbara's b'day, it is also Roy Richard's!! The menu he has asked for is:
Macaroni & Cheese
Ham baked w/maple syrup & o.j.
Coleslaw
Chocolate ice cream cones

Don Cayetano Pinot Noir Gran Reserva 2012
from Chile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 11/1/14?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Happy B'day Roy!
What a delicious menu, Yum! Mac n' cheese is now on my menu next week.

Today I'm cooking a rib roast, mashed potatoes w/gravy and asparagus.
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 11/1/14?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I am making a lasagna to take out to my in-laws. Ron Sr. is going home today. The hospital recommended a week or two at an outside rehab facility before going home, but he refused.

Fortunately, we were able to convince him to accept physical therapy from Home Health Care, so they will be going to the house several times a week for the next few weeks.

So, I am in meal planning mode and ideas are welcome. They do not like anything fancy, just good home cooking. So far, this is what I have thought of:

Lasagna, has to be Sicilian style. Ron Sr. does not like ricotta.
Roasted turkey
Old Bay's Jewish Brisket
cottage ham with potatoes and green beans
meatloaf or hamburgers
spaghetti and meatballs or Italian sausage
stuffed pork chops (thanks Vicci)
Rotisseried chicken
Homemade noodles, Pa. style
vegetable soup or chili
venison stew

Now I'm at a standstill...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 11/1/14?? by Mare749 (I am making a lasagn...)
Maryann, I'm going to suggest looking thru Share a Recipe - pure comfort food and not fancy. And, of course, Journey...Home.

Ham & Peas fettuccine
Hash
Goulash
Baked beans with chicken cooked on top?
Beef & Barley soup
...............shall I go on??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 11/1/14?? by cjs (Maryann, I'm going t...)
William is doing Old School Style Vegetable Soup for dinner on this cold rainy day. I got the recipe from one of our cafeteria ladies years ago before the state took over the cafeterias and made them "healthier".

Maryann, this is a good one. I'll put together a list and get back to you.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 11/1/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (William is doing Old...)
Well, Tony just left to get us philly cheesesteak sandwiches (haven't tried this place yet) so I'm thinking something light for dinner, but I don't know what.

I do have some frozen mussels in a garlicky sauce I could make to top a small serving of linguine with.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 11/1/14?? by Trixxee (Well, Tony just left...)
Chicken soup with mofongo, tonight.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 11/1/14?? by labradors (Chicken soup with [i...)
Oh, mofongo! I can't wait to have that again. But, it's going to be spring before we go back to San Juan.

Thanks, Daphne, I would love to have that recipe. Great ideas, Jean, and that's where I will look. Just thought of Billy's chicken and dumplings!

Happy Birthday to Mr.Roy!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 11/1/14?? by Mare749 (Oh, mofongo! I can'...)
Maryann, I can't give you a recipe, but I can tell you what my cafeteria lady told me...hamburger meat and onion, cooked and drained, mixed vegetables of choice, tomato juice (this was the surprise that I think is the key), a little bit of sugar (to taste), and salt and pepper to taste. After making it a few times, William took this over and added Ranch dressing mix to it. I think I was sick and requested it? Sounds weird but it worked. To this basic recipe, you can switch it up with seasonings of your own. I will add that he uses lots of onion. I can't remember if he ever made it with venison, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 11/1/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (Maryann, I can't giv...)
Maryann, stuffed peppers and/ or stuffed cabbage? Italian wedding soup?

I'm roasting a chicken for tonight, with garlic mashed potatoes and peas. Comfort food on this chilly, rainy first day of November.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com