Lost recipe
  Re: (...)
Back in the mid 1970s,my dad made a hot-pepper sauce to use on some shredded-brisket sandwiches. It was for a family-clambake type get-together and everyone loved it. After that, he made it a few more times but, as with many such things, we just forgot about it for a while.

Once in a while, we'd think about it again, but he never did remember where he got the recipe and my mom and I haven't been able to find it in any cookbooks we have. It may have been from something like Better Homes and Gardens, which my mother used to get back then, but I haven't found it on the BHG website.

This was a relatively watery sauce and I think I remember seeing the pepper seeds in it, but I don't remember a jalapeƱo taste, so I'm not sure what kind of peppers were in it, although we didn't even know much about other peppers at the time. Likewise, I don't remember that it was particularly vinegary nor that it had any tomatoes, so I'm not sure what the base was.

With all of those unknowns, do any of you happen to remember such a sandwich or sauce from the mid 1970s and do you still have the recipe? I know it's a long shot, but it can't hurt to as.

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Lost recipe by labradors (Back in the mid 1970...)
Interesting challenge. My dad had a recipe he used for when he did a "pot roast" on the grill in foil. This does have a some tomato, but it was diluted with water.

1 can tomato sauce
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
8 oz Tabasco or similar sauce
1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1/2 tablespoon cayenne
3 tablespoon lemon juice
  Re: Re: Lost recipe by DFen911 (Interesting challeng...)
Ahhh, thought provoking. Have to think on this one a while.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Lost recipe by labradors (Back in the mid 1970...)
Sounds a lot like our favorite Carolina Red

1 1/2 c. cider vinegar
1/2 c. ketchup (we use Heinz organic)
1/4 tsp. cayenne or hot dried red chile flakes
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp salt.

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to dissolve sugar. Serve at room temp or chilled. The sauce will keep indefinitely.

(From "Smoke & Spice")

This is a favorite of ours and we almost always have a squirt bottle of it handy. I use the red chile flakes & usually double the amount. Reminds me that we're out!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Lost recipe by Harborwitch (Sounds a lot like ou...)
If this isn't it, I'm thinking I'll make anyway!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lost recipe by cjs (If this isn't it, I'...)
Sharon, yours sounds a lot like my dad's, but he used bottled BBQ sauce instead of ketchup.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lost recipe by cjs (If this isn't it, I'...)
Jean I'd put this on cheerios! It's light and perfect for a rich pork dish. I put it on rice and grits too.

Daphne that sounds interesting - I'll try it with some Mr. Stubbs next time we smoke a butt.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Lost recipe by Harborwitch (Jean I'd put this on...)
Let me know, Sharon.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lost recipe by Harborwitch (Jean I'd put this on...)
Shall check with my mom again, but I still don't remember any tomatoes (and certainly not ketchup) in this clearish, watery sauce.

What you all have posted, so far, sounds delicious, but I don't think any is the right one, yet.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Lost recipe by labradors (Shall check with my ...)
SAUCE DIABLE
Makes: about 1 cup

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon minced shallots
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup beef stock
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons soft butter

Note: beef stock can be fresh, frozen concentrate or from cubes.
In a saucepan, melt butter and saute shallots for 3 minutes.
Add wine and boil down to half. Add beef stock. Bring to a boil.
Season with cayenne pepper. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
Keep sauce warm until ready to use.
Use with steak, roast beef or broiled chicken.

This can be made with chicken stock as well. Add some extra crushed black peppercorns to taste.

Are we getting closer?
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy