Arrabiata Sauce for Sausage & Penne Review
  Re: (...)
I love this sauce and it is just a tad different from the one I usually use, but I'm thinking I'll stay with it.

Arrabbiata Sauce for Sausage & Penne*****
[Image: Nov14SausageArrabiata_zps8f2d7a0f.jpg]
Source: http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/...ata/24598/

1 lb Italian or andouille sausage, sliced
2 Tbs olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup red wine
1 Tbs granulated sugar
2 Tbs chopped fresh basil
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 Tbs tomato paste
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
salt to taste
chopped fresh parsley -----
1/2 above recipe good for 8 oz. Penne

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook penne until al dente.

2. Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook sausage until evenly browned. Set aside. (note: I didn't remove the sausage, I just added the onion and cooked for 5-7 min.; then added the garlic for couple minutes. Then went on and added everything else.)

3. Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add onion and cook until it begins to turn translucent. Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.

4. Stir in remaining ingredients, except for parsley. Stir in sausage and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.

5. Pour over penne, and top with parsley if desired.

6. Wine: Very good with Sweet [censored] Chardonnay

Tips
The heat of this dish goes so very well with family fruit salad - this time I added pears and bananas and a sprinkle of basil. Very tasty!
[Image: Nov14FruitSaladwPearsBananas_zpsda8db3be.jpg]
I poured on way too much of the dressing, but it's so good, we just devoured it.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Arrabiata Sauce for Sausage & Penne Review by cjs (I love this sauce an...)
Ah yeah. Duly noted in my reminders.

Thank you!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Arrabiata Sauce for Sausage & Penne Review by BarbaraS (Ah yeah. Duly noted...)
Yep, that looks/sounds like a keeper. Thanks, Jean.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Arrabiata Sauce for Sausage & Penne Review by Mare749 (Yep, that looks/soun...)
Yeah. I'm thinking next Sunday! (already bought ravioli for this Sunday)

By the way Jean, what was the "[censored]" part of your post?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Arrabiata Sauce for Sausage & Penne Review by BarbaraS (Yeah. I'm thinking ...)
Sounds really good!! Thanks, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Arrabiata Sauce for Sausage & Penne Review by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds really good!!...)
I didn't even notice that! The name of the wine is Sweet B*tch Chardonnay -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean, did you drain the diced tomatos?

Barbara
Jean,

For this recipe, 1 lb of pasta or what?

Barbara
  Re: Jean!! by BarbaraS (Jean,[br][br]For thi...)
No, didn't drain the tomatoes. For the amounts listed you would use 1 lb. pasta. I just made half the sauce recipe. I had bulk andouille sausage, but sliced in casings would work fine, too. Hope you like it!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean!! by cjs (No, didn't drain the...)
Jean,

Good to know about the tomatoes. So to clear up, you made a whole pound of sausage and only half the sauce?

I cannot wait to make this Sunday!

Barbara