Quick Pan Rolls Review
  Re: (...)
We've got to get to warm weather so I can get outside or I'm going to weigh 400 lbs.!!!!!!!!!!!!! All this cooking is keeping the trailer nice and toasty, tho.

I'm still on my quest for 'my best' sandwich rolls that hold up to just about any filling and this one is certainly getting closer.

the recipe called for rapid rise yeast which I didn't have, so had to adapt a little. I've never done a rise like the one called for here, but it worked using regular yeast, too.

Quick Pan Rolls – 1/2 Recipe (16 rolls) a Chef’s Journey Revision

My oops in making this recipe consisted of using only a quarter of the yeast called for in making 1/2 the original recipe( which called for 2 T.) and I like the texture better for sandwich rolls. They will be sturdier, I think. I will make the recipe again using the called for amount of yeast and see how much, if at all, lighter they can be.

No need to shape individual rolls - simply cut dough in each pan into 16 rolls! Quick and easy.

2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
2 T. sugar
1/2 T. yeast (should have been 1 T.)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 T. butter cut into pieces
1/2 large egg
1/2 T. all-purpose flour, for dusting

1. Combine 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Heat milk, water, and butter until very warm (120° to 130°F); stir into flour mixture. Stir in egg and enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover; let rest on floured surface 20 minutes.

2. Roll to fit a greased 8 or 9-inch square pan. (I used an 8X12” 1/4-sheet pan) With sharp knife, cut dough into 16 rolls; cover. (I cut into 6 pieces for sandwich rolls) Place large shallow pan on counter; half fill with boiling water. Set wire rack over pan; place baking pan on rack. Let rise 20 minutes.
[Image: Nov15QuickPanRollsreadytobake_zpsdfa5bb78.jpg]

3. Dust tops with 1/2 tablespoon flour. Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 15 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; let cool on wire rack.
Yield: 16 rolls or 6 beautiful sandwich rolls
Original recipe - http://www.breadworld.com/recipes/Quick-Pan-Rolls

[Image: Nov15QuickPanRolls_zps722a7a20.jpg]

The flavor is great and is a very 'sturdy' dense bread.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Quick Pan Rolls Review by cjs (We've got to get to ...)
Beautiful!

Temps are supposed to rise tomorrow, I think, but then it's supposed to plunge again. Hopefully, you'll find warmer air when you get closer to the Gulf?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Quick Pan Rolls Review by Gourmet_Mom (Beautiful![br][br]Te...)
These rolls are great flavor and I think they will hold up for any sandwich. Going to try them with a.................. let's see what was that again????? Patty Melt.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Quick Pan Rolls Review by cjs (These rolls are grea...)
Patty melt! LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Quick Pan Rolls Review by Gourmet_Mom (Patty melt! LOL!...)
Great looking rolls, Jean. Even though bread is off the menu for Peter, I think I will try these for a rustic company do. Printed!!! Thanks Jean.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Quick Pan Rolls Review by Roxanne 21 (Great looking rolls,...)
And, Roxanne, if you can eat 6 of them before Peter comes home, half recipe works great!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Quick Pan Rolls Review by cjs (And, Roxanne, if you...)
O.K., report on these little goodies - made Patty Melts with them (I know s/b Rye -but needed to use these.

Super good and holds up to all the ingredients. darn, just remembered my new rosemary plant and I didn't even think to add some to the dough. Will do so next time.
Patty Melt
[Image: Nov16PattyMeltwQuickPanRolls_zps52b36b93.jpg]

Pulled Pork w Cheddar Cheese - 1st use of the rolls for a sandwich
[Image: Nov15PulledPorkSandwichQuickPanRolls_zps0a3808ca.jpg]

Also, wanted to mention this fruit salad I made twice this week. Please excuse the picture, I just 'dumped' the dressing on and it was way too much, but oh so darn good! I grew up on fruit salad (bananas, apples, grapes - 99% of the time) with Mom's Mayo and Sugar Dressing - a recipe that is in Journey...Home book.

I had 2 pears this week and used them with the banana and couple good shakes of dried basil. Wow, such a nice upgrade and new flavor to the salad. We really enjoyed it.
Pear & Banana Salad
[Image: Nov14FruitSaladwPearsBananas_zpsda8db3be.jpg]

Now, to work on leftovers Monday and Tuesday and on the road Wednesday for a month at Lake Charles. and better weather, I hope, hope, hope!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Quick Pan Rolls Review by cjs (O.K., report on thes...)
What? No egg?

(just kidding - they look tasty!)

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Quick Pan Rolls Review by BarbaraS (What? No egg? [img...)
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Quick Pan Rolls Review by cjs ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Jean, I was conjuring up the scene in "Spanglish" where Adam Sandler comes home to his rental in Malibu and makes a sandwich for himself, plates it, and cuts it to show the running egg. Your picture of your sandwich reminded me of that scene. You should be a food prepper in movies.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.