Monday's Dinner, 11/17/14??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

My last two catfish, but fried!! the right way. Not sure what else. Would love to grill an onion, but it's so cold don't know if I can keep the grill going....or I'm just getting darn old.

(wish I had some of Daphne's black-eyed peas to go with.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday's Dinner, 11/17/14?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Penne carbonara-----------love pasta, ANY type of pasta. I will indulge while my groom is away
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 11/17/14?? by Roxanne 21 (Penne carbonara-----...)
I have two leftover italian sausages and marinara and I am a little tired of pasta myself right now so I think I will try Trader Joe's breaded eggplant slices for the first time and make a little eggplant parm with it. I've heard they are not bad.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 11/17/14?? by Trixxee (I have two leftover ...)
Blane got me craving Chicken Marsala last night, so that's what's for dinner tonight. I'll serve it with some roasted broccolini.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 11/17/14?? by karyn (Blane got me craving...)
I didn't make the marsala last night, so that's on the menu tonight, unless I change my mind.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 11/17/14?? by losblanos1 (I didn't make the ma...)
It snowed in Plano last nite. Holly is making chili tonight. No beans. There was not enough snow to cancel school, much to my Grandsons disappointment.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 11/17/14?? by Old Bay (It snowed in Plano l...)
I just made the best dinner I have in a long, long time!!

(properly) Fried Catfish (marinated in buttermilk, s& P, and Franks Hot Sauce) then fried! Corn & Goat cheese Grits and slaw. I have definitely died and gone to heaven.

[Image: Nov17CatfishwGrits_zpsda3b226b.jpg]

I've not made this grit dish before but it is so good, I really pigged out! It's a B. Flay recipe and I could it every day of the week.

Corn and Goat Cheese Grits SOON

“I decided to citify low-country cuisine by adding lots of chopped garlic and fresh goat cheese,” says Bobby Flay of these hearty yet elegant grits. The end result is a tangy, creamy, corn-flecked side dish. F&W

4 cups water
1/2 cup whole milk
2 Tbs unsalted butter
Kosher salt
1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 large Spanish onion, coarsely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears) or one 10-ounce package frozen corn kernels
Freshly ground pepper
4 oz fresh goat cheese

1. In a medium saucepan, combine the water, milk, butter and 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal. Cook the grits over moderate heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until thickened and the grains are tender, about 40 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the corn mixture to a food processor or blender and puree until the mixture is just smooth.

3. Stir the pureed corn and the goat cheese into the grits, season with salt and pepper and cook just until heated through. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re:DAPHNE, I DID IT!!!!!! by cjs (I just made the best...)
It won't let me copy! I'll try it on the laptop later. This is a MUST try!

Jean, your fish looks wonderful! You've got me drooling over everything on the plate!

I seem to be on a nostalgia kick. I had considered chicken noodle soup Friday, but went with the Old School Veggie instead. Then while thinking about cooking Dad's black eyed peas, I thought about Granny's Pastry. So that is dinner tonight with a side of baby butter beans.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re:DAPHNE, I DID IT!!!!!! by Gourmet_Mom (It won't let me copy...)
Jean, your dinner looks fantastic!

Daphne, you are driving me crazy with all the family recipes you have been talking about lately! Will you cook for me if I drive down there to visit?

Dinner tonight was a simple shrimp stir-fry over rice.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re:DAPHNE, I DID IT!!!!!! by Mare749 (Jean, your dinner lo...)
Road trip!

Thanks Daphne & Maryann, I'm still thinking about it.
www.achefsjourney.com