ISO a recipe for dipping sauce for shrimp
  Re: (...)
That isn't the usual cocktail sauce. I was hoping to find something citrus-y but will keep an open mind.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: ISO a recipe for dipping sauce for shrimp by foodfiend (That isn't the usual...)
Here are some ideas.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

GINGER-SOY DIPPING SAUCE

Servings: 4
Yield: ¾ cup

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

¼ cup soy sauce
3 TBS. mirin
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 garlic clove , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tsp.)
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 scallion , finely chopped

Whisk all ingredients together in medium bowl.

Recipe Type: Condiments, Cook's Illustrated, Dipping Sauces

Source: Cook's Illustrated May 1, 2009
Web Page: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/...ocid=19362

SWEET AND SOUR DIPPING SAUCE

Servings: 6
Yield: ½ cup

1½ TBS. unseasoned rice vinegar
2 TBS. sugar
1 TBS. ketchup
1 tsp. thin soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1 TBS. peanut oil
1½ tsps. garlic
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 TBS. water

Finely mince the garlic and the ginger. Combine the cornstarch with water until cornstarch is dissolved.

Combine the vinegar, sugar, ketchup, soy sauce and ¼ cup water in a measuring cup and whisk to combine.

Heat a small, heavy saucepan over high heat until hot. Add the oil, and swirl to glaze the bottom of the pan. when the oil is hot enough to sizzle one bit of garlic, add the garlic and the ginger and stir gently until fragrant 10-15 seconds, adjusting the heat so they sizzle gently without browning. Add the liquid mixture, stir to blend, then raise the heat to bring to a bubbly simmer, stirring. Reduce the heat to medium-low, stir the cornstarch mixture to recombine and add it to the pan. Stir until the mixture thickens and becomes glossy, about 20 seconds. Turn off the heat and cover the port to keep the sauce warm.

The sauce may remain in the pot until you are ready to serve it. If it cools, reheat over low heat, stirring.

The sauce may be made up to several days in advance. Let it come to room temperature, seal airtight, and refrigerate. Reheat before serving.

Recipe Type: Asian Dish, Chinese, Dipping Sauces

Author: Barbara Tropp
Source: The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking

GARLIC AIOLI

Servings: 8
Yield: 16 TBS.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes

1 clove garlic
1 kosher salt
1 egg yolk
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil

Peel garlic, cut rough end of clove. Mince clove, add a pinch of kosher salt and then smash it with the flat part of the knife into a paste. Put the garlic paste into a small, narrow bowl, add egg yolk and lemon juice and mix with wire whip. Once it is mixed, start drizzling the olive oil, a few drops at a time, whisking while you are doing. Once it starts to emulsify, you can add a bit more and as it continues to emulsify, you can drizzle larger amounts at one time until the olive oil is gone.

It will keep in refrigerator for 2 weeks.

Recipe Type: Dipping Sauces, Lemon, Salad Dressing and Toppings, Salsas and Relishes, Sauces

Web Page: http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2009/06/i...-ever.html

SPICY ORANGE SAUCE

Servings: 4

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

1/2 tsp. grated orange zest
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup dry sherry
2 TBS. low sodium soy sauce
2 tsps. Asian chili sauce
2 tsps. Splenda
2 tsps. cornstarch
1 tsps. toasted sesame oil

Combine all the ingredients in a Pyrex measruing cup.

Recipe Type: Low-Fat Recipe, Orange, Sauces, Splenda, The Best Light Recipe

Source: The Best Light Recipes page 292

Re: Re: ISO a recipe for dipping sauce for shrimp by Cubangirl (Here are some ideas....)
Vicci, I know this is salmon, but I think the "sauce" created in this dish could be replicated using the rub IN the sauce. The flavors are AWESOME! Might be worth trying a small sample. Maybe a splash of clam juice?

Orange-Glazed Salmon
Servings:2
Ingredients
2 teaspoons Cajun spice (Maybe less to prevent it from being too salty)
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
pinch Kosher salt (leave this out if Cajun spice is salty)
2 boneless skinless fresh salmon fillets (6 oz. each)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons orange marmalade
1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
Lime wedges
Preparation
Combine Cajun spice, brown sugar, and salt in a bowl. Rub mixture over all surfaces of fillets. Sauté fillets in oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes. Turn fish and sauté an additional 2-3 minutes.

Blend marmalade and lime juice in a small bowl; add to pan with salmon. Swirl mixture in pan until marmalade is melted. Carefully turn fish to coat all sides with the glaze. (Or spoon over...this worked for me) Fish is done when it begins to flake with a fork.

Serve fillets with lime wedges.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: ISO a recipe for dipping sauce for shrimp by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, I know this i...)
This is a match made in heaven for shrimp, easy and delicious!

Pineapple chutney

1 cup minced fresh pineapple
1/2 cup sugar
1 can pineapple juice (6 oz.)
3 Tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. chili garlic sauce
2 tsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. water

Simmer pineapple, sugar,
pineapple juice, 3 Tbsp. lime
juice, and chili garlic sauce for
the chutney in a saucepan over
medium-high heat, 8 minutes. Stir
together cornstarch and water, add
to pineapple mixture, and simmer
until thickened; season with salt.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
  Re: Re: ISO a recipe for dipping sauce for shrimp by losblanos1 (This is a match made...)
Hmmm, these all look very good!! My standby which is a cocktail type sauce is very citrusy, so I'll throw it in the pot, too

For a cocktail sauce to serve with the chilled shrimp, mix together the following ingredients. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup grated red onion
1/2 tsp. finely chopped fresh jalapeno
2 T. prepared horseradish
1 T. fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt to taste

CJ’s tip: Another use for this cocktail sauce came to me just recently from a friend – he tops his cottage cheese with it. I could even eat cottage cheese that way.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO a recipe for dipping sauce for shrimp by cjs (Hmmm, these all look...)
GREAT ideas, but now I'm thinking that I should offer at least two of the above...

And Daphne, that salmon looks so good I just took a piece out of the freezer to make this tonight.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: ISO a recipe for dipping sauce for shrimp by foodfiend (GREAT ideas, but now...)
yes...it does.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO a recipe for dipping sauce for shrimp by cjs (yes...it does....)
Vicci, this is my favorite way to make salmon! I look forward to hearing what you think!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: ISO a recipe for dipping sauce for shrimp by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, this is my fa...)
Daphne, I will be making the salmon tomorrow- it was so cold in the kitchen that the it didn't thaw much and I decided to BAKE dinner tonight (love that oven heat!). But I will let you know!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: ISO a recipe for dipping sauce for shrimp by foodfiend (Daphne, I will be ma...)
That salmon recipe ROCKS! Thanks for posting it, and such an easy dish, too. Yum.
Vicci

my cooking adventures