T'giving Dinner 2014- how did it go for you???
  Re: (...)
I used this rub on my turkey:
http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/dry-r...gravy.aspx
and it was really flavorful. I thought that the orange flavor might be a little odd, but it was not dominant and quite nice. I didn't use the gravy recipe; I did my same ol' gravy...

To go with the turkey, I made cornbread stuffing (Italian turkey sausage, sage, onion, celery), sweet potatoes with vanilla and pecans, mashed potatoes, peas (tradition!), my Gram's cranberry salad, a new cranberry sauce recipe made with apple cider and walnuts, and the (again, traditional) Libbys-recipe-from-the-can pumpkin pie.

It was only 2 of us, and very low key, but enjoyable.

How was the cooking, etc. for everyone else?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: T'giving Dinner 2014- how did it go for you??? by foodfiend (I used this rub on m...)
With no friends or family around, it was very quiet - still no network channels, so couldn't watch the Hawk's win, darn it. But, it was beautiful weather and we were able to be outside most of the day, so glad I chose a very low key menu.

Roasted chicken in place of turkey, Corn & Goat Cheese Grits, fruit salad, rolls and of course, pumpkin pie!!
Went to bed very, very full!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T'giving Dinner 2014- how did it go for you??? by cjs (With no friends or f...)
It all went beautifully, but now I know why Jean's mom would go to bed for 2 days after having company. We had the dining room table set for six, then two more party tables spread out across the living room. We had so much food that we had to set up buffet style in the kitchen. Best of all, my in-laws were both having a pretty good day, so we felt especially blessed!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: T'giving Dinner 2014- how did it go for you??? by Mare749 (It all went beautifu...)
I think things went pretty well. I thought the turkey could have come off a little earlier, but everyone else disagreed. Other than that and having WAY too much food, I was satisfied. Everyone was complimentary, and Mom are a HUGE plate of food! The best part for me was Mom's Pecan Pie!

Now to figure out what to do with the leftovers. With a considerable amount of rice left, I'm thinking of doing fried rice first. I'll break down my bird this afternoon and will make stock for soup later.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T'giving Dinner 2014- how did it go for you??? by Gourmet_Mom (I think things went ...)
I am exhausted and I didn't do anything! Went over to friends house last night. They did a smoked turkey that was off the hook good! Ate far more than I should. Laughed a LOT, sang (probably shouldn't have), excellent wines and then I did something I never do, which put me over the top. I ate dessert. I am still stuffed to the gills this morning and on top of it all I am cooking up an 18lb bird today with some of the trimmings. Mainly because I want the roast turkey meat so I can package it up for other meals.

Hoping at 10am that Costco puts their organic turkeys on sale. They did last year, dropped them to .99 cents a pound. If that's the case again this year I'm going to buy 4 of them. I'll break down 3 of them and keep one whole for the smoker
  Re: Re: T'giving Dinner 2014- how did it go for you??? by DFen911 (I am exhausted and I...)
Oh Maryann - that's great that they were having a good day!! Yup, bed rest for 2 days!

Daphne - go with your gut!! My stock is made and in the freezer - just too much food right now. But, I hadn't thought of fried rice, that sounds good!

Costco + day after Thanksgiving = brave broad.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T'giving Dinner 2014- how did it go for you??? by cjs (Oh Maryann - that's ...)
Everything was good at my brother's and SIL. Mom ate well and I made her Date Nut Bread recipe that she used to make for every T-day and Christmas. Also helped that the Eagles opened up a can of Whoopazz over the Cowboys!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: T'giving Dinner 2014- how did it go for you??? by BarbaraS (Everything was good ...)
Well just called Costco and they don't have any of the organic turkeys left, so going to enjoy Black Friday from my kitchen
  Re: Re: T'giving Dinner 2014- how did it go for you??? by BarbaraS (Everything was good ...)

Our dinner went well. Had bigger dinner than planned so went and bought a turkey breast too
I tried a different dry rub on each one. A herb rub on breast and a chili rub on whole bird
We all liked each one.
I ended up making a separate stuffing and used crockpot not sure if it was the
Recipe or how it turned out. Didn't care for it.

So potatoes were made as usual.

One of the guest can't have flour. So I made sauces and used arrowroot turned out ok
Made stock ahead and loved it so much. Only way to go !

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: T'giving Dinner 2014- how did it go for you??? by mjkcooking ([br]Our dinner went ...)
We had a really nice Thanksgiving at my brother's house. My parents and my other brother's family was there, along with my SIL's sister & fam, grandparents and her best friend. It was the first time I had really gotten to talk to the new people and everyone is so nice and personable. Everyone pitched in by bringing something - I brought the balsamic brussels sprouts and there wasn't one left. The view of the Pacific from the kitchen didn't hurt anything either.

It was nice to see my 8 week old nephew, along with all my older nieces and nephews who are ages 14-20 and it seems we are all doing something right. Super nice kids and no one with their nose stuck in an i-phone. And I have bonus nephew now too - SIL's sister had a baby 9 weeks ago so there are actually two babies in the family now.