stuffing a boneless pork loin
  Re: (...)
I've never done this, but I will be buying a boneless pork loin to stuff and roast for our party next week. I'm a little nervous about "buterflying" it, but hope to locate some online instructions.

My question is-- can I butterfly, stuff, roll, and tie this pork loin 24 hours in advance of roasting it? Or is it like a turkey and you shouldn't stuff it ahead of time?

Any other hints will be appreciated, too.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: stuffing a boneless pork loin by foodfiend (I've never done this...)
You can prep your roast the day before. I would just be sure the stuffing is chilled before putting in the roast.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: stuffing a boneless pork loin by cjs (You can prep your ro...)
Wonderful- I'll have enough to do on Saturday so I'll just prep the roast on Friday. Thanks, Jean!

Also, what kind of "boneless pork loin roast" should I buy? I bought pork chops a month or so ago and was terribly confused by the choices-- end, center, etc. Or are there no choices when it comes to this type of cut of pork?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: stuffing a boneless pork loin by foodfiend (Wonderful- I'll have...)
Vicci - I'll give you my opinion on your roast - I'll be interested to hear what others have to say, also.

First off - I'd buy a center cut pork loin
[Image: Centercutporkloin_zps7bc9ce5f.jpg]

And, first thing Friday morning I would brine the roast for 5 to 6 hours in the brine below. Rinse it well, pat dry, then butterfly and continue with your stuffing and tying.

My brine and method:
In a container larger enough to submerge the roast - put the roast in it and add enough cold water to cover the meat completely (you may have to cover with a plate to keep submerged).

Remove the pork and set aside while making the brine. Measure the amount of water it took to cover the meat and use this water to add your brining ingredients.

For every 1 qt. of water, whisk in 1/4 cup Kosher salt, 2 T. brown sugar and 2 T. granulated sugar. (you can add herbs and seasoning if you want, but with the seasoning in the stuffing, you probably don't need anymore). Whisk the h*ll out of the mixture until almost all the granules are dissolved - don't worry if there are a few. (this step eliminated having to heat the water to dissolve the salt/sugar, then taking the time to allow the brine to cool before you can begin brining - I never thought this was necessary)

Now you're ready to brine - cover and refrigerate. After brining, remove, rinse and carry on. Wrap well and you're ready to go on Saturday.

I don't need to mention having a temp probe handy and pull your pork at 143° to 145°F.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: stuffing a boneless pork loin by cjs (Vicci - I'll give yo...)
I agree with the center cut and cooled stuffing. What are you stuffing it with, Vicci?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: stuffing a boneless pork loin by Gourmet_Mom (I agree with the cen...)
Wow, Jean, thank you so much for the instructions and advice! I will do it exactly as you suggest (how, then, could it not turn out perfectly???)

Daphne, the recipe that I am using is from Simply Recipes:

Ingredients

1 boneless pork loin (about 3 pounds)
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup seasoned croutons
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup peeled, chopped green apples
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon minced rosemary

Method

1. Preheat oven to 325°F.

2. Rinse the pork and pat it dry. Butterfly the roast by first cutting lengthwise about halfway through the roast. Then angle the knife and cut horizontally almost all of the way through, on both sides. Unfold the pork and cut tiny slits in the surface of the meat. Cover with 2 layers of of plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet to flatten as much as possible. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper and set aside.

3. Place croutons and stock in a small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes, until the croutons have absorbed the stock and have softened. Mash up the croutons a bit with a fork. Stir in the apples, walnuts, cranberries, shallots, maple syrup and rosemary. Spread mixture over surface of the pork. Stir in the apples, walnuts, cranberries, shallots, maple syrup and rosemary. Spread mixture over surface of the pork. Starting with the smallest side of the meat (which should be in the shape of a rectangle), roll up tightly and secure with kitchen string. At this point you can wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate if you are making ahead.

4. Coat the bottom of a roasting pan with cooking spray or a little olive oil. Place the roast in the pan and cook at 325°F, uncovered, for about 1 hour ten minutes, or until the pork reaches an internal temperature of 140-145°F. Start checking the internal temperature of the roast at about one hour. Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove the kitchen string and slice into 1/2-inch thick slices.

Read more: [url=http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cranberry_apple_stuffed_pork_loin/#ixzz3KQC5ZNjM
]http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cranberry_apple_stuffed_pork_loin/#ixzz3KQC5ZNjM[/i][/url]

I am going to use seasoned cornbread crumbs instead of the croutons. Now, does the instruction on how to butterfly the pork sound right? It's a little confusing to me, but maybe I just need to read it through a few more times...

And I am going to make this sauce to serve alongside (from a Bobby Flay recipe):

Sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finley diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
6 cups chicken stock
1 cup apple juice concentrate, thawed
2 teaspoons chipotle puree
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 tablespoons cold butter
Salt

Sauce:

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, carrot and celery and cook until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the stock, juice concentrate, chipotle puree and peppercorns, increase the heat to high and cook the sauce until reduced to 2 cups, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Strain the sauce into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby...tml?oc=linkback

For the sauce, I will omit the chipotle puree (one of the guests is, sadly, very sensitive to spicy food) and add a few shakes of smoked paprika instead.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: stuffing a boneless pork loin by foodfiend (Wow, Jean, thank you...)
Yes, Vicci, the instructions sound about right. You want an even thickness all the way across after you finish.

Funny, I owe YS a stuffed pork tenderloin. His favorite way that he keeps begging for is using a sharpening steel to poke through the tenderloin and stuffing the opening with two Italian sausages. Season with usual and roast or grill as usual. I need to do this after swimming through all these leftovers....or as a unique break along the way.

Thanks for reminding me!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: stuffing a boneless pork loin by Gourmet_Mom (Yes, Vicci, the inst...)
I think the process will make sense as you work it, Vicci.

I think (after thinking on it) that I would wait to brine until the pork is butterflied - the brine will work more and only brine for 3 to 4 hours.

This video may help sort the process out for you -

Butterflying a Pork Loin

Sauce sounds nice, also - will be a very nice dish.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: stuffing a boneless pork loin by cjs (I think the process ...)
Jean, I can't thank you enough for the advice. I only wish that you were nearby and could drop by to help me! I'm getting a little... a LOT... nervous about being ready for this party.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: stuffing a boneless pork loin by foodfiend (Jean, I can't thank ...)
You'll get back in the 'swim' of things the minute you get started!! No doubt.
www.achefsjourney.com