Pancake Breakfast Casserole
  Re: (...)
I don't know where to put this one, but it sure grabbed my attention!!

Pancake Breakfast Casserole

I just rewrote the recipe to reflect using our favorite pancakes. I'm sure wanting to try this one.

Pancake Breakfast Casserole SOON

This casserole makes breakfast pancakes extra special by baking them in a rich, creamy custard. You can cook and freeze the pancakes ahead of time (defrost them before using). An easy time-saver: Buy ready-made frozen pancakes.

hot cakes equivalent to the amounts below:
4 Tbs unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the dish and serving
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
------------
5 eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 Tbs sugar
Maple syrup, for serving
Blueberries, for serving

1. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish; set aside. Put 3 tablespoons of the butter in a microwave-safe small bowl or liquid measure; microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute to melt the butter.

2. My Note: Make pancakes = apple would be really good

3. Transfer the pancakes to a plate as finished. Repeat until all the batter is used, adding more butter to the pan as necessary. (You should have at least 12 pancakes.)

4. Whisk together the half-and-half, vanilla, the remaining 5 eggs and 3 tablespoons sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.

5. Shingle the pancakes in the prepared baking dish. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the pancakes. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours up to overnight to allow the pancakes to soak in the custard.

6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the plastic wrap, and bake the casserole until it feels firm yet springy to the touch in the center and the custard is set, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm with maple syrup, blueberries and pats of butter.

Source: Television Food Network,

----------
Maybe for a last splurge of 2014????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pancake Breakfast Casserole by cjs (I don't know where t...)
I would love this one, but unfortunately Ron would not. Just doesn't like blueberries or any kind of bread pudding for some reason that I really cannot understand!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pancake Breakfast Casserole by Mare749 (I would love this on...)
I'm in the same boat, Maryann.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pancake Breakfast Casserole by Gourmet_Mom (I'm in the same boat...)
The one I'd like to try is Eric Greenspan's Pancake Lasagna. Can't even begin to imagine the glycemic index for that!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pancake Breakfast Casserole by labradors (The one I'd like to ...)
Wow, Jean... pancakes soaked in custard-- heaven! But do I dare?!?!?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Pancake Breakfast Casserole by cjs (I don't know where t...)
Somebody on this forum made a pancake breakfast casserole...

Yes, they were having company over and were kind of 'dared' to make one. Was it Denise??
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pancake Breakfast Casserole by luvnit (Somebody on this for...)
Post deleted by losblanos1
  Re: Re: Pancake Breakfast Casserole *DELETED* by losblanos1 (Post deleted by losb...)
I've done that a lot, too
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com