Monday's Dinner, 12/29/14
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu today for everyone??

I have leftovers of the Salisbury steak, so will have that again today, but I do have 18 hour bread bubbling away, so we'll have really good bread with it. Issue #50

[Image: DEc28SalisburySteak_zps6d2ca893.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday's Dinner, 12/29/14 by cjs (What's on the menu t...)
Glad I stopped in here. I have a pork butt I need to cook today. And I want to be able to make 3 meals out of it. That might be tough, we are serious carnivores AND sometimes you never know how much bone is in there until it's done.

I have sauerkraut I need to use up, make some rolls and mashed potatoes.

Then with the leftovers I am going to make tacos!

And hopefully a third meal with will just be a simple Indian curry and rice.

Any ideas on how I should cook this butt (shoulder)!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 12/29/14 by luvnit (Glad I stopped in he...)
Laura, I've done this one 3 times since August we like it so much. Being in the trailer tho, I only cooked a chunk about 2-3 lbs. at a time. It's great in sandwiches, quesadillas, tacos....... even with pasta.

Slow-Cooker Honey-Soy Pulled Pork*****

What wonderful flavor!! I added a little red pepper flakes to zip it u a tad. First made 8/8/14, in Kalispell, MT

1 6-7 lb Pork butt, fat trimmed
1-1/4 cups Clover honey
1/2 cup Soy sauce, reduced sodium
1/4 cup Distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup Brown sugar
4 Tbs Dried basil leaves
3 Tbs Garlic, minced
1/4 cup Cornstarch

1. Trim pork butt of all extra fat and place meat in slow-cooker.

2. In a separate bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, basil and garlic. Pour on top of meat.

3. Set slow-cooker on low for 6 hours. When done, remove meat and pour sauce into a large pyrex bowl, preferably with a pour spout. Let sit for about 20 minutes and skim off any visible fat from the top. Pour sauce into sauce pan over medium heat. Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and add slowly to the sauce. Continue to stir, making sure there are no clumps. Sauce will thicken once mixture is hot enough, make sure not to boil over 1 minute as the cornstarch will break down.

4. Shred meat with two forks and pour sauce over the meat. Eat as is or make it into a sandwich.

Source
Author: Recipe from: Noble Pig | Serves: 6-8
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 12/29/14 by cjs (Laura, I've done thi...)
The Pozole Verde, the other day, was excellent, so last night I made the Pozole Rojo and I'm making the Pozole Blanco right now.

Those will be for later in the week, however, since my mom roasted the peppers for some Chiles Rellenos yesterday and we'll be having those tonight.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 12/29/14 by labradors (The [i]Pozole Verde[...)
I'll do that Jean! Thanks.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 12/29/14 by luvnit (I'll do that Jean! T...)
You're welcome, Laura.

Darn Labs, I have so much food to get thru (bits & pieces and stock to get out of freezer) that I still can't get to my Latin goodies and flavors!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 12/29/14 by cjs (You're welcome, Laur...)
Something with boneless chicken breasts. That really narrows it down! LOL.

Maybe chicken piccata. I think the last two times I said I was going to make that I made chicken marsala and chicken with a creamy sun dried tomato sauce. Will make a tossed salad as well but will throw in some goodies like spicy pecans and bleu cheese crumbles in it since I'm not going to make a starch. Don't want to feel TOO deprived. I have to to lose some weight.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 12/29/14 by Trixxee (Something with bonel...)
Breakfast for dinner, baked blueberry French toast and sausage. The blueberries make it healthy.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 12/29/14 by losblanos1 (Breakfast for dinner...)
that's your story and you're sticking to it, eh, Blane???
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 12/29/14 by cjs (that's your story an...)
...that and the fact that the French toast is cooked in the oven, rather than the frying pan.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?