New Year's Eve, 12/31/14??
  Re: (...)
I don't know if we need this thread, but I'll start it anyway and if we don't post here, but post above, I'll just delete it.

I can't remember being so unorganized about food in my life as I am for today and tomorrow. Guess I'll just put everything from the fridge on the counter and go for it. Geez.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? by cjs (I don't know if we n...)
Jean, just having scallops, caviar, and duck confit means that you're CLOSE to being ready!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? by foodfiend (Jean, just having sc...)
guess you're right.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? by cjs (guess you're right. ...)
Still tossing around ideas. I used my pan scrapings and some bits of country ham to make an old childhood favorite, tomato and rice for lunch today. It was just as good as I remember. Tonight, I may or may not make the stroganoff, but I also like Maryann's suggestion of thinly slicing it and bringing it up to room temperature and have a couple of baked potatoes and asparagus on the side. I think there is a package of mushrooms in there, so I may make a mushroom sauce? Recipe anybody?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (Still tossing around...)
I've got a lot of mushroom sauce recipes, but I'm sure if you think about it, you can just whip one up!

After such a whiny start (see above) I had one of the most fun and creative days I've had in a long time!

Started out - pork tenderloin thawed out, had to use.

Chili Saffron Honey(Tracie's Christmas present) Roasted Pork Tenderloin -
[Image: Dec31ChiliSaffronHoneyPork_zps31594f94.jpg]

Had jus from the Salisbury Steak to use as a base for soup and added things I wanted to use up in the fridge/freezer - potatoes, carrots, zucchini, Mexican Beef, yadda, yadda and ofter slicing the meat off the duck confit legs, I added the bones to the soup. Also, no cans of tomatoes, so added a can of tomato soup. Wow, is this ever tasty. We will have a bowl tonight to see the new year in.
[Image: Dec31GarbageSoup_zpsf8b0434e.jpg]

But, for our dinner toady -WOW! I'm just so please with how well everything turned out and a new recipe created to boot.
I didn't have any salsas, chutneys or relishes for my Charcuterie platter, so just started collecting and came up with a winner -
Cranberry & Apple Salsa
[Image: Dec31CranberryAppleSalsa_zpsb9fa6439.jpg]

Our dinner - Charcuterie Platter with crackers and 18 hour bread
[Image: Dec31Charcuterie1_zps4b597cb8.jpg]

I haven't made Crème Fraiche for a couple of years and I need it for tomorrow, so got my a$$ in gear and started some yesterday = man, is it tasty. Had to try a little with the cranberry salsa and duck and it was out of this world good flavor!
Cranberry and Crème Fraiche
[Image: Dec31CranberrySalsawCremeFraiche_zps63ab4261.jpg]

I will post the recipe for the cranberry apple salsa on a separate thread and I sure hope some of you will try it out and let me know the results (of course, for addition to another cookbook!) So, be critical.....somewhat.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? by cjs (I've got a lot of mu...)
Thanks Maryann -

Here's the recipe for Cranberry Apple Salsa.

Have to keep in mind I'm cooking out of my pantry and I had a can of Cranberry jellied sauce (I'm anxious to try with fresh cranberries, the texture will be very nice I think.)

Cranberry Apple Salsa- a Chef's Journey recipe *****

I needed a chutney, salsa or relish for a New Year's charcuterie platter and as I grabbed ingredients from the pantry and fridge, this winner of a salsa came together and is delicious Dec. 31, 2014

1 cup jellied cranberry sauce
1/3 cup died apple
2 green onions, minced
3/4 tsp Balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustasrd
3 tsp candied jalapeno
or
2 tsp. minced jalapeno plus 1/2 tsp. honey
pinch of salt
2 Tbs chopped roasted pecans

1. Combine all the ingredients and taste for degree of heat you like – adding more jalapeno if necessary. Chill for a couple of hours to meld the flavors.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? by cjs (Thanks Maryann -[br]...)
Gorgeous. We had king crab legs and garlic bread. It was pretty darn good and the crab was on sale for $13.99/lb. We ate 2.73 lbs between the two of us. Embarrassing.
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? by Trixxee (Gorgeous. We had ki...)
embarrassing....but, darn good, eh?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? by Trixxee (Gorgeous. We had ki...)
Theresa, you're going to hate me for this....DD offered to pick us up some crab legs at Harris Teeter, but William declined. They are on sale for $5.99! I may still change my mind.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve, 12/31/14?? by Gourmet_Mom (Theresa, you're goin...)
CHANGE IT!!! What kind of crab would that be, Daphne?
www.achefsjourney.com