Review of Spinach & Artichoke Galette
  Re: (...)
I made this for our "NYE grazing table". There was so much food for 4 people, but this was one of the stars.

I cheated and used a Pillsbury refrigerated pastry crust, but made up for it by making my own creme fraiche. Because I couldn't find Manchego cheese, I subbed Dubliner but I think that feta would be a darn good option as well.

Spinach & Artichoke Galette (F&W, November 2013)

ACTIVE: 45 MIN
TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 30 MIN
SERVINGS: One 11-by-15-inch galette

This buttery pastry evokes the classic flavors of Greece with its luxurious, creamy filling of spinach, artichoke and a hint of citrus.

1/2 cup crème fraîche
1/2 garlic clove, finely grated
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 cup shredded Manchego cheese
5 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
One 14-ounce can artichoke hearts—drained, quartered and patted dry
1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 450°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 12-by-16-inch rectangle; transfer to the baking sheet. Fold the dough edge over itself to form a 1/2-inch border all around and pinch the corners together. Refrigerate until firm.

Mix the crème fraîche, garlic, hot sauce and zest; season with salt and pepper. Spread over the dough. Top with the cheese, spinach and artichokes. Brush the edges with egg wash.

Bake the galette in the bottom third of the oven for about 25 minutes, until the edges are slightly puffed. Cut into squares, garnish with sliced scallions and serve warm.

The Ultimate Savory Pie Crust
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1/3 cup ice water

In a food processor, pulse the flour with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal, with some pea-size pieces of butter still visible. Sprinkle the ice water over the mixture and pulse until the dough just starts to come together; you should still see small pieces of butter. Scrape the dough out onto a work surface, gather up any crumbs and pat the dough into an 8-inch square. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until well-chilled, about 1 hour or for up to 2 days.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Review of Spinach & Artichoke Galette by foodfiend (I made this for our ...)
Well, well, and I happened to make crème fraiche for New Year's also, so I'm ahead of the game for this Galette.

Did you take any pictures??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review of Spinach & Artichoke Galette by cjs (Well, well, and I ha...)
This looks really good!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review of Spinach & Artichoke Galette by Gourmet_Mom (This looks really go...)
That looks delicious! I've copied and saved it. Thanks for posting.
  Re: Re: Review of Spinach & Artichoke Galette by karyn (That looks delicious...)
This was ridiculously delicious and I am sad I didn't sneak any to take home The hint of lemon takes it over the top. Vicci spoiled us rotten and too much beer made us forget to take pictures of the food. I haven't eaten or laughed this much in a long time!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Review of Spinach & Artichoke Galette by chef_Tab (This was ridiculousl...)
Theresa, I forgot to put your portion of the galette in your cooler! Now I have to eat it all...

It is WAY too quiet here tonight...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Review of Spinach & Artichoke Galette by foodfiend (Theresa, I forgot to...)
Vicci, tell Jack he has to stay up until midnight again tonight, haha
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Review of Spinach & Artichoke Galette by chef_Tab (Vicci, tell Jack he ...)
Quote:

Vicci, tell Jack he has to stay up until midnight again tonight, haha

Not a chance that would've happened.

I'm going to reheat the galette (for ME) and take photos later today. I can't believe that I actually remembered to put some in a container for you to take home, then put it in the wine cooler drawer...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Review of Spinach & Artichoke Galette by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Wow!! Sounds like it was some kind of night!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Review of Spinach & Artichoke Galette by BarbaraS (Wow!! Sounds like i...)
Barbara, yes it definitely was some kind of night!!!

I'm going to try to post a photo of the galette, but first an additional comment on the recipe.

I know that I said that the premade pastry crust worked, but it did not. I can barely recall anything beyond how wonderful the flavor of the creme fraiche, lemon, artichokes, spinach, cheese (mmmmmm), were but after reheating I remembered that the pastry crust was too soft for this. Most likely, the crust that was included in the original recipe would have been fine, or to save time I might just use flatbreads.

Okay, deep breath, here goes:

[Image: IMG_16341280x851_zpsbb31f22a.jpg]

WOOHOO! finally!!! I'm going to have to start taking better photos if they're going to be this big!
Vicci

my cooking adventures