How Pitmasters Reheat BBQ Leftovers
  Re: (...)
I found this very interesting and given the way we all (almost) love to smoke/grill/BBQ maybe some of you will find some good ideas, also.

How Pitmasters Reheat BBQ Leftovers

Beef rib
Killen's BBQ (address and info) - Houston, TX
The beef rib is the current darling of the Q circuit, and while it may seem like the only way to reheat one of these Brontosaurus bones is over a Flintstones fire, Ronnie Killen of Houston's most-lauded BBQ joint says otherwise. Put it in a baking pan with about 1/4 cup of water, cover with foil, and bake at 225℉ for 30 minutes.

Sausage
Iron Works BBQ (address and info)
Austin, TX
Meats with a high fat content reheat easier, and sausage is on the chubby side -- it has an average 30% fat content. The folks from Iron Works say the most practical solution is simply microwaving, but for best results, zap in small increments. And be sure to turn/flip the meat halfway so that it's evenly cooked.

Brisket
La Barbecue: Cuisine Texicana (address and info)
Austin, TX
When it comes to perfect Texas brisket, simplicity is key. John Lewis from La Barbecue recommends you wrap your leftovers in foil and heat them in the oven at 200℉ until the meat is warm all the way through.

Smoked turkey & baby back ribs
The Shed BBQ & Blues Joint (address and info)
Ocean Springs, MS
Head ShedHed Brad Orrison shared some tips on transforming leftovers into much more. For turkey, pull it like you would pork, and then put it in a bowl with salt, pepper, and sauce. Zap it in the microwave. Then, toast two pieces of bread. Top the bread with meat, veggies, and provolone, throw it in the toaster again, and watch that cheese melt. You now have a beautiful open-faced sandwich.

When it comes to ribs, pull the meat off the bone and heat it in a pan with a little bit of unsalted butter. Make a batch of fluffy biscuits, cut one in half, and fill with rib meat. Add cracked pepper, grab a cup of coffee, and enjoy ribs for breakfast!

Pulled pork
Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q (address and info)
Decatur, AL
Hog honcho Ken Hess from legendary Big Bob Gibson's says that if you've got full cuts of pork, a low oven at 225℉ does the trick. But should you have a ton of pulled pork left over, the move is to freeze it in a Ziploc bag. Then when you're ready to reheat, place the bag in a pot of water that's near a boil, but don't let it boil. This seals in the moisture. You can also add sauce to the bag to hit it with another round of flavor. Then throw it on nachos, pizza, soup, or a casserole, and any of those items become infinitely better.

Chopped pork
Skylight Inn (address and info)
Ayden, NC
In Eastern North Carolina they serve their pork chopped to keep some crispy skin on the meat. Sam Jones from Skylight says that if you put that pork in the oven, you'll lose the crunch and end up with meat the consistency of sawdust. Instead, slowly reheat it on a stovetop. And don't stop stirring.

Tips
http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/bbq-...bq-at-home

Source
Source: Dan Gentile is a staff writer on Thrillist's National Food and Drink team. He is based in Austin, TX, and as evidence of his regional BBQ bias, has hundreds of photos of brisket, but none of pulled pork. Follow him to salt and pepper at @Dannosphere.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: How Pitmasters Reheat BBQ Leftovers by cjs (I found this very in...)
Wish I had some already-cooked smoked turkey-- that open-faced sandwich sounds delicious!

And I don't know about using a ziploc bag to heat food. I've never done it, but there's some info at:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/176349...astic-bags

with the concern I have mentioned in this paragraph:

According to the North Dakota State University (NDSU) Agriculture Communication, some bags are made from plastic that is too thin to boil without melting. They recommend calling the manufacturers of the plastic bag and asking them what the softening point is. NDSU reports that Ziploc brand bags have a softening point of 195 degrees, which means they would melt at boiling point, 212 degrees. This will ruin both the food and the dishes the bags are in.

The "Hog Honcho" may not realize this...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: How Pitmasters Reheat BBQ Leftovers by foodfiend (Wish I had some alre...)
I would never use plastic bags myself, but a number of us have FoodSavers - which solves the problem.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: How Pitmasters Reheat BBQ Leftovers by cjs (I would never use pl...)
Definitely do the FoodSaver!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: How Pitmasters Reheat BBQ Leftovers by Gourmet_Mom (Definitely do the Fo...)
Foodsaver for the win!

Great info Jean!