Question for Bakers!!
  Re: (...)
I am now paying for not delving more into the whys and wherefores dough making.

I'm making a batch of pizza dough and using my recipe (from pizza book) for Bread Flour dough and it is the nicest dough I've ever worked with.

I only had to sprinkle a little flour twice for a 5 minute knead - can't tell you how beautiful this dough is. Now, the humidity in the trailer is 56% and temp is ~ 68°

So, is it this combination that makes the dough so nice to work with?? I've been making it (Bread flour dough) for years as the book was published in '09 and worked on the doughs for 3-5 years (1 for 15 yrs! ) and while it always has been a nice workable dough, today was outstanding.

Any reasons? ideas? Thanks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Question for Bakers!! by cjs (I am now paying for ...)
Hello?? Anyone home??

Well, what a disappointing morning this has been. The dough that was so wonderful to work with was absolutely the worst pizza crust texture ever! It was like, I don't know, maybe a dense bread or cake and certainly not the flavor I remember with this dough. I guess the taste buds change, but that darn much??

I even pushed the dough out rather than rolling and messing with the outer crust. As I took it out of the oven, I was really thinking it was going to be a winner.
[Image: Jan13AndouilleSalamipizza1_zpsc9d0e146.jpg]

Then I sliced and tasted it - bleck. Other than one pizza years ago that we had to throw away uneaten (purchased, not made), I've never thrown the crust on a pizza away. I did this one.
[Image: Jan13AndouilleSalamiCrust_zps7cfd718a.jpg]

So, what shall I do with the other 12 oz. of dough. Maybe a Stromboli......darn!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Question for Bakers!! by cjs (Hello?? Anyone home?...)
Sure looks good though. Did you scrape the toppings off into a bowl and eat it with spoon? I would have.
  Re: Re: Question for Bakers!! by losblanos1 (Sure looks good thou...)
Jean, is there any chance you forgot the salt? Or herbs or anything else that you normally throw in automatically now?

Like Blane said, it sure looks good enough! BTW, do you use the 18 hour method any more?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Question for Bakers!! by Mare749 (Jean, is there any c...)
The part of the crust with the toppings was o.k. and I really like the combination of flavors. Just the outer crust that I objected to.

Between mise en place and always adding the salt to the flour separatedly, I don't think so, Maryann.

I do still make the 18 hour, but right now I decided to stay with what is in the Pizza book to see if they are still the recipes I want to go with. Will make this one one more time to make sure........
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Question for Bakers!! by cjs (The part of the crus...)
That is the recipe that I always use and we love it. It's easy to work with and turns out great either in the oven or on the grill. I don't knead bread very much because I got spoiled using the dough hook with my KA. Six minutes is perfect and the dough comes off the hook smooth, satiny, and in one piece.

Might want to consider keeping this recipe for people who are new to working with pizza dough.

BTW, have you worked with your test recipe for Neopolitan Pizza Dough any more? I saw this in my recipes the other day and remember testing it. But, for some reason I didn't write down any notes.
Maryann

Re: Re: Question for Bakers!! by Mare749 (That is the recipe t...)
I don't have my K.A. with me on the road.

I like the Neopolitan dough very much.

But, what I'm concentrating on right now is transferring the Pizza book to an ebook and I want to stay with the recipes which are in the book, But, I want to try them again after all these years to see if they still belong.

So, other dough recipes don't come into play with this project.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Question for Bakers!! by cjs (I don't have my K.A...)
What a great idea. We like the herbed pizza dough too when I have the whole wheat flour on hand.
Maryann

Re: Re: Question for Bakers!! by Mare749 (What a great idea. W...)
I could have sworn I tried that one, but since I prefer the Herb Crust, it would have only been once. Sorry it flopped. Let us know if you figure it out.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Question for Bakers!! by Gourmet_Mom (I could have sworn I...)
Have a confession to make…there were/are maybe 3 recipes in all my books that I have not tried my own self. I added them on faith. One was a recipe for Stromboli in the Pizza book. When I was almost done with the book, I got an email from Maryann that said, “...anything you put on a pizza can go in a Stromboli.” So, to keep our Italian friends happy, I found a basic recipe and went with it.

Made it for the first time today and besides saving my a$$, it saved the bread flour pizza dough recipe. This was outstanding – perfect ratio of crust to filling; no hollow places between filling and crust and just overall darn good!! I’m so pleased – and, Thank You, Maryann, for making me feel my neck and including the recipe.

The filling I used for 12 oz. of dough:
Marinara sauce, thinly spread
Pulled pork, about 5 oz. mixed with 2.5 oz. Jimmy Dean Hot sausage
About 3 oz. Jack cheese
1 oz. parmesan cheese
Toasted chopped almonds – I had them to use so just scattered over

[Image: Jan15Strombolifilling_zps04166cde.jpg]

[Image: Jan15Stromboli2_zpsd2babbf6.jpg]

[Image: Jan15StromboliServine_zpsbe97dfa4.jpg]

So, bread flour pizza dough recipe is saved to produce another day!!!!
www.achefsjourney.com