Char Sui ?
  Re: (...)
I'm thinking seriously about making the recipe that Karyn recommended this weekend. I KNOW I'll be holding some back for some chicken chow Mein next week, but for the initial meal, I was wondering if the sauce in THIS recipe, that I LOVE, would compliment or fight with the flavors. I'd be doing a stir fry mix, instead of just bok choy.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Char Sui ? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm thinking serious...)
Quote:

I'm thinking seriously about making the recipe that Karyn recommended this weekend. I KNOW I'll be holding some back for some chicken chow Mein next week, but for the initial meal, I was wondering if the sauce in THIS recipe, that I LOVE, would compliment or fight with the flavors. I'd be doing a stir fry mix, instead of just bok choy.

Okay, I admit it's been a long week and I'm certainly getting older, but what the heck did I recommend??
  Re: Re: Char Sui ? by karyn ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Karyn, it was from an old thread that popped up recently about Char Siu. Here is the recipe you posted. LOL! Look familiar?

Chinese Barbecued Pork (Char Siu) - Cook's Illustrated
(Recommended by Karyn)

By swissms on January 16, 2010

About This Recipe
"Published in Cook's Illustrated, March-April 2007. Pay close attention to the meat when broiling -- you are looking for it to darken and caramelize, not blacken. Serve with rice and vegetables. Leftover pork can be used in fried rice."

Ingredients
1 (4 lb) boneless pork butt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce or 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
6 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup honey

Cut pork butt in half lengthwise. Turn each half on cut side and slice each half into 4 equal pieces (you will end up with 8 strips). Trim excess hard, waxy fat, leaving some fat to render while cooking.
Using fork, prick each piece of pork on all sides. Place pork in large plastic zipper-lock bag. Combine sugar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sherry, pepper, five-spice powder, sesame oil, ginger and garlic in medium bowl.
Measure out 1/2 cup marinade and set aside.
Pour remaining marinade into bag with pork. Press out as much air as possible; seal bag. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
While meat marinates, combine ketchup and honey with reserved marinade in small saucepan. Cook glaze over medium heat until syrupy, 4-6 minutes.
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300°F Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and set wire rack on sheet. Spray the wire rack and rimmed pan with vegetable oil spray (this will help to facilitate cleanup).

Remove park from marinade, letting any excess drip off, and place on wire rack. Pour 1/4 cup water into bottom of pan. Cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil, crimping edges tightly to seal. Cook pork 20 minutes.
Remove foil and continue to cook until edges of pork begin to brown, 40-45 minutes.
Turn on broiler (do not use a drawer broiler). Broil pork until evenly caramelized, 7-9 minutes. Remove pan from oven and brush pork with half of glaze; broil until deep mahogany color, 3-5 minutes. (Watch carefully; do not allow to blacken.).
Using tongs, flip meat and broil until other side carmelizes, 7-9 minutes. Brush meat with remaining glaze and continue to broil until second side is deep mahogany, 3-5 minutes.
Cool for at least 10 minutes, then cut into thin strips and serve.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Char Sui ? by Gourmet_Mom (Karyn, it was from a...)
Okay, I really need to read more carefully. I though you were referring to something I'd just cooked over the weekend. LOL!

That is a terrific recipe, and the pork is good in many dishes, so I hoghly recommend it!
  Re: Re: Char Sui ? by karyn (Okay, I really need ...)
Bless your heart! I knew I had confused you. Sorry!

But about that side dish?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Char Sui ? by Gourmet_Mom (Bless your heart! I...)
Lots of flavor going on there - I think I'd go with a little less with the side dish. But, then again add a little rice and it just might all go together. Hmmmmm. It all sounds good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Char Sui ? by cjs (Lots of flavor going...)
Jean, that's what I was afraid of. I'm thinking I'll just do a simple stir fry. I will definitely be doing rice, but I want the pork to be the star. I really need to listen to my instincts more.
Daphne