Cow Boy Chili & Garlic Onion Soup Mix
  Re: (...)
Made this for Super Bowl, 2/1/15 - While it was cooking I was afraid it was a dish I would throw out instead of eating. But, turns out even tho it doesn't look like any chili I've every had, it is very, very tasty!!
I'm adding some of the chili to chili dogs for dinner today.

Cow Boy Chili *****

1 envelope garlic soup mix (I have not seen 'garlic soup mix,' which I assume is a Lipton product, so I gave the 'Onion Soup Mix' a try and it worked great!! 1/2 the recipe makes the correct amount for this recipe – approx. 2.5 oz.)
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs cut into 1 in pieces (I used 2 rather large thighs, cutting meat from bone befrore adding to slow cooker)
1 cup prepared salsa (go for 'hot' salsa)
1 (16 oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (11 oz) can Mexican-style corn
-------
Garnishes:
Sour cream
Sliced scallions
Shredded cheddar cheese

1. Combine all ingredients except the Garnishes in slow cooker.

2. Cover and cook on High 4 to 6 hours or on Low 6 to 8 hours, until chicken is cooked through.

3. Garnish with sour cream, scallions and cheddar cheese.

Yield: Makes 4 Servings (I'd say 6 to 8 when serving as a side dish
Source: Kessler, June (2012-10-13). Party and Game Day Super Snacks (Delicious Recipes) (Kindle Locations 1634-1649). JK Marketing. Kindle Edition.

------------------

Onion Soup Mix (New name Garlic Onion Soup Mix***** )

For using in the chili recipe - 1/2 this recipe is the perfect amount and uses one entire jar of dried onion flakes, which is handy, 'cause I don't use them for anything else)

For dry, make-ahead mix:
1 cup dried onion flakes, minced
1 Tbs black pepper (or to taste)
2 tsp onion powder (I used garlic powder instead of the onion powder for adding to the Cow Boy Chili)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried parsley flakes

Mix all ingredients and grind in food processor, but not to a powder (just enough to mince the onions, parsley and thyme). Store in an airtight jar.

Tips
For dip:
2 cups sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup seasoning mix
Mix ingredients together in a bowl. 2. Let stand in the refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.

For soup:
4 cups water
1/4 cup seasoning mix
Mix ingredients together in a saucepan. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Source
Source: Zook, Melanie (2014-09-14). The DIY Kitchen Cookbook: How to Make Your Own Clean & Healthy Make-Ahead Mixes, Seasoning Blends, Snacks, Breakfasts, Condiments, Dressings & Drinks (Kindle Locations 219-220). Fresh Start Nutrition. Kindle Edition.

Author Notes
Why DIY? Here’s just some of the ingredients you may find on the back of a store bought onion soup mix: sugar, corn syrup, hydrolyzed soy protein, caramel color, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, monosodium glutamate (MSG), yeast extract, natural flavors, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate. Compare that to the ingredients list below…
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cow Boy Chili & Garlic Onion Soup Mix by cjs (Made this for Super ...)
So Jean, did you make your own soup mix?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cow Boy Chili & Garlic Onion Soup Mix by Gourmet_Mom (So Jean, did you mak...)
Sounds interesting Jean. I think I might be tempted to try it with beef (dice up a small chuck roast).
  Re: Re: Cow Boy Chili & Garlic Onion Soup Mix by Trixxee (Sounds interesting J...)
I don't understand what you don't understand, Daphne??????????????

I used the onion soup dry mix in the pot of chili.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cow Boy Chili & Garlic Onion Soup Mix by cjs (I don't understand w...)
Jean that actually sounds really really good. I like the idea of the home made "onion garlic soup mix". So many of the ingredients in the packaged mix are things I can't eat. Thank you so much for sharing. I'll be trying this soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cow Boy Chili & Garlic Onion Soup Mix by Harborwitch (Jean that actually s...)
Oh, sorry, your recipe included the homemade soup mix. OOPS!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cow Boy Chili & Garlic Onion Soup Mix by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, sorry, your reci...)
You and Vicci both need another glass of wine.............
www.achefsjourney.com