Friday-the-13th-Dinner.....2/13/15??
  Re: (...)
Be careful today!! What's on the menu for everyone today??

Oyster Cakes with either caper-cayenne mayo or Guimi's 'butter' and garlic pasta
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Friday-the-13th-Dinner.....2/13/15?? by cjs (Be careful today!! W...)
Oh dear god I hope that's not an omen! We have a plumber coming out for some very weird puddles of water that keep reappearing.

What is an oyster cake? I saw a beautiful dish on Closet Cooking recently that was pasta topped with grilled oysters - looked delicious.

I guess I'll just play the day by ear, not sure if the water will have to be turned off for a while?
  Re: Re: Friday-the-13th-Dinner.....2/13/15?? by Trixxee (Oh dear god I hope t...)
Here they are -

a Chef's Journey adaptation of Tom Douglas' Oyster Cakes*****

"these are wonderful!!!"

2 cups fresh oysters -- drained and patted dry, finely chopped
1/2 cup Panko or dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup minced red onion
1 jalapeno pepper -- minced (remove as many seeds and/or membrane as you are comfortable with)
2 cloves garlic -- minced
2 Tbs snipped fresh parsley
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese -- (1 oz.)
2 large eggs -- slightly beaten
Vegetable oil for sautéing
------------------
Caper-Cayenne Mayonnaise (or Guimi's 'Butter' Rouille)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbs milk or light cream (I don't use - like the sauce thicker)
2 Tbs capers -- finely chipped
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper -- (1/8 to 1/4)

1. Place the chopped oysters in a large bowl followed by the panko, onion, garlic, parsley, cheese and eggs; combine well. Form into cakes about 1-inch high and 3-inches across. Chill, uncovered, about 30 minutes.

2. If making ahead of time, after the 30 minutes, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 4 to 6 hours before sautéing.

3. Meanwhile, prepare mayonnaise by combine the mayonnaise, milk, capers and cayenne and blend well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

4. Heat about 1/4-inch depth of vegetable oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add cakes without crowding, better to cook in 2 batches. Brown well on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce with a dollop of caper-cayenne mayonnaise. Makes 8 to 10

5. First made with Kaiser, Memorial day weekend 2012
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Friday-the-13th-Dinner.....2/13/15?? by cjs (Here they are -[br][...)
We're going to have a copycat recipe of "Bang-Bang Shrimp" from Bonefish Grill, steamed rice and a green veg that hasn't been determined just yet.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Friday-the-13th-Dinner.....2/13/15?? by Mare749 (We're going to have ...)
I hope it's nothing serious Trixxee.

Today it's pineapple spiced chicken with grilled asparagus.
  Re: Re: Friday-the-13th-Dinner.....2/13/15?? by losblanos1 (I hope it's nothing ...)
Thanks Blane - clogged drain with laundry lint. $125 and all is well I hope. (Still doesn't explain the mysterious puddle in the middle of the garage floor that has appeared 3 times but hasn't been seen for 8 days).

Well, I decided on these. I'm almost positive I made them after seeing Bobby Flay's showdown. Karyn - I have this site permanently bookmarked now (same site as your korean tacos). Thank you!

http://www.pink-parsley.com/2011/09/gree...rgers.html
  Re: Re: Friday-the-13th-Dinner.....2/13/15?? by Trixxee (Thanks Blane - clogg...)
Have to say this was one of our better dinners lately - everything went together so nicely -

Oyster Cakes with 'Butter' Rouille, Coconut Rice with Mango & Apple salsa. Yum.
[Image: Feb13OysterCakeCoconutRiceSalsaRouille_zps471fa306.jpg]

Everything a repeat, that's for sure.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Friday-the-13th-Dinner.....2/13/15?? by cjs (Have to say this was...)
That looks beautiful and very "restauranty", Jean. Here is the oyster/pasta recipe I mentioned earlier in case anyone wants to try it.

http://www.closetcooking.com/2015/02/cha...pasta.html
  Re: Re: Friday-the-13th-Dinner.....2/13/15?? by Trixxee (That looks beautiful...)
Great minds and all that, Trixxee - I saved this particular recipe to use up the LAST pkg. of oysters I have in the freezer. Will let you know next week how we liked it - if you don't do it first!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Friday-the-13th-Dinner.....2/13/15?? by cjs (Great minds and all ...)
I'm doing Valentine's Day dinner tonight instead of tomorrow. Holly invited us over for appys tomorrow, and Ron may be feeling up to going out by then for a few hours. I can make the bang-bang shrimp at her house.

So far, I have made some lump crab cakes that were on one of the morning shows yesterday and Ron saved it for me. So, decided to make those instead of buying lobster tails. Also picked up some nice filets from the butcher, so will be pan-searing those. Haven't decided on the sauce yet. Made an asian coleslaw earlier, so now just need to decide if I should bake a potato. Probably will make one for Ron.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."