Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras Next!
  Re: (...)
Now it's time to think about Mardi Gras - lots going on in this part of the country, that's for sure!! I have about 15 dishes to choose between...................
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras Next! by cjs (Now it's time to thi...)
I keep changing my mind about what to make. We haven't had gumbo in ages and everyone loves it, so will probably start with a cup of that. Haven't gotten any further yet, but have a cookbook from New Orleans, so am going to go through that.

Since there are so many of us, I'm thinking of making a king cake.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras Next! by Mare749 (I keep changing my m...)
I'm struggling to come to a decision, too. I'd really like to be able to make it Monday since I have the day off...any suggestions for a make-ahead dish?
  Re: Re: Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras Next! by karyn (I'm struggling to co...)
Oh, any of the gumbos/etc. need that overnight thing. Also, red beans & rice.

I'd say you are good to go, karyn
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras Next! by cjs (Oh, any of the gumbo...)
Ummmmmmm?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras Next! by Gourmet_Mom (Ummmmmmm?...)
I want to also, Maryann - but, with the two of us.... hopefully I can find somewhere locally I can buy a slice or two.

Now that we pigged out on Valentine's day, I'm really rethinking what I will do on Tuesday.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras Next! by cjs (I want to also, Mary...)
So, gumbo it is! I'm going to use Emeril's recipe but with brown rice instead of white.
  Re: Re: Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras Next! by karyn (So, gumbo it is! I'm...)
Well, once again, we're ahead of ourselves. Since Heather and James are home and everyone is off work and school tomorrow, we decided to have our Mardi Gras celebration tomorrow. So, tonight I made jambalaya, but won't add the shrimp until right before serving. Tomorrow morning, I am going to Tapps Cake Emporium, a very fun store in my neighborhood that has absolutely everything under the sun for making cakes and candies. I will pick up colored sugars and decorations for the king cake that will be started in the morning. The girls are making appys and drinks.

All we need now is the box with all hats, masks and boas.
Maryann

Re: Re: Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras Next! by Mare749 (Well, once again, we...)
...and beads!1 How fun!! Keep the camera handy!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras Next! by cjs (...and beads!1 How f...)
Here is a photo of the king cake that I made today. The recipe is from Paula Deen if anyone is interested.

[Image: IMG_1087_zpssrw0hioo.jpg]
Maryann