Jean - Pizza Crust
  Re: (...)
I watched an older episode of Alton Brown. His pizza dough was very intriguing in that he uses Barley Syrup. He says he never uses active yeast.

Ingredients
Dough - Enough for 3 (16-inch) round pizzas:
16 ounces all-purpose flour, plus extra for peel and rolling
1 envelope instant or rapid rise yeast
1 tablespoon kosher salt
10 ounces warm water, approximately 105 degrees F
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons for bowl
1 tablespoon malted barley syrup

Dough:

Combine the flour and yeast in the work bowl of a stand mixer. Add the salt, water, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and malted barley syrup. Start the mixer on low, using the hook attachment, and mix until the dough just comes together, approximately 1 1/2 minutes. Increase the mixer speed to medium and knead for 15 minutes.

Tear off a small piece of dough and flatten into a disk. Gently stretch the dough until thin. Hold it up to the light and look to see if the bakers windowpane, or a see-through, taut membrane has formed. The dough will be quite sticky, but manageable. Fold the dough onto itself and form it into a smooth ball. Oil the bowl of the stand mixer or other large canister with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Put the dough in the bowl and roll it around to coat with the oil. Cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap and leave at room temperature to double in size, approximately 1 hour.

Split the dough into 3 equal parts using a knife or dough scraper. Flatten each piece into a disk on the countertop. Form each piece into a ball. Roll each ball on the counter until they tighten into rounds. Cover the balls with a tea towel and rest for 45 minutes.

Not going to bother with toppings, you have that down to a science! He did 3 different grilled pizza's.
  Re: Jean - Pizza Crust by DFen911 (I watched an older e...)
Confused:

"He says he never uses active yeast."

and in the ingredients: 1 envelope instant or rapid rise yeast
???

Will have to look up malted barley syrup and see what kind of flavor this imparts. Interesting, thanks Denise
------
Ooops, came back to say I misspoke - we would have used this years ago when we were making beer. I have made bread with beer before and I like the flavor it gives.

Sorry, guess I wasn't quite away when I first read this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean - Pizza Crust by cjs (Confused:[br][br]"He...)
Yes the two are very different. I was surprised when they went over this in school. I use to use Active Yeast in my bread recipes. But up here where it's colder I wasn't getting decent rises. Instant yeast works far better. It's preserved in citric acid and you don't have to bloom it first. Active yeast you're suppose to soak for 2-3 minutes till frothy.

I'm gonna look for barley syrup today
  Re: Re: Jean - Pizza Crust by DFen911 (Yes the two are very...)
Oh, I misread what you meant - I thought you were saying he didn't use 'yeast' but it was listed.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean - Pizza Crust by cjs (Oh, I misread what y...)
How funny, I was just reading my book, "The Bread Bible" and she has a recipe for pizza dough calling for barley malt syrup AND active dry yeast. It was published in 1999.

Wonder where he got his idea?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean - Pizza Crust by cjs (How funny, I was jus...)
I have this to use in bread recipes. The reviews are useful. It can be substituted for honey or sugar in recipes. FWIW, the only yeast I use is SAF red instant yeast regardless of what the recipe says. No mishaps yet.

I've learned more about baking in the last month since I got my 7 qt. than I ever have. Barley syrup is one of my new "finds".
  Re: Re: Jean - Pizza Crust by Cubangirl (I have [url=http://w...)
Too late for this one. Must look again tomorrow. And very uncertain what kind I use. I bought it in bulk at Sam's. I'm close to the end of the first batch, so I need to dig the second batch out of the freezer anyway.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.