Pork Recipes
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

I was just trying to think up my Saturday and Sunday dinners (like I always do on Tuesdays, think "cooker's block" - sometimes it's easy, other times it's a blank) and realized that I don't cook much with pork. And I'm not talking chops here because I really don't like pork chops. Sorry, but they were fried in a pan till they were a little stiff. Not one of my Mom's best efforts.

So I was looking in the last C@H recipe index I could find, (*Ahem, C@H, it's been a while for one of those indexes*) and really could not find something that didn't call for grilling and fruits not in this season - except for that Vanilla Cider Pork with Pears, but pears take at least a week to ripen.

So if any of you have a fave of yours from one of the issues, call it out with the issue # and I'll look it up.

Really looking for a roast or tenderloin recipe.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Pork Recipes by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I wa...)
Daphne just made the mushroom pork marsala topped with frizzled proscuitto that looks dynamite.

The pork tenderloin mushroom/apple stew is wonderful.

Blane makes a japanese cutlet using slices of pork tenderloin that is really great (I made it once years ago before I even knew it was a C @ H recipe).

That might get you started!
  Re: Re: Pork Recipes by Trixxee (Daphne just made the...)
Yeah, I would love that Pork Masala recipe and asked for the recipe. Looked really, really tasty!!

I will look up that Pork/Apple Stew - saw it in the index but was too lazy to pull out the notebook. My notebooks can hold 30-40 issues of C@H.

[rant]And *Ahem* C@H, why oh why did you stop punching notebook holes in the issues? OK, yes, Hubby did promise to set up a hole punch on his drill press, but that's going happen when I get our oak ogee and quarter round trim work reinstalled on our baseboards. Translate - never.[/rant]

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Pork Recipes by Trixxee (Daphne just made the...)
All three recipes that Trixxee mentioned are delicious.

Here's a couple more recipes that we enjoyed.

Pork Wellington w/ apple-sage sauce issue 42 page 23
Stuffed pork loin w/ cherry sauce issue 48 page 16
  Re: Pork Recipes by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I wa...)
Barbara I have 26 tried and true pork recipes plus lots more. I love pork but never cook chops. If you had Living Cookbook 2015, I could send you the entire chapter, but.... I would start with pork tenderloin and then pork butt (aka shoulder).

Here are my three all time favorite pork recipes (apart from real Cuban Pork)

ROAST PORK TENDERLOIN WITH CREAMED CORN AND APPLE-CRANBERRY CHUTNEY

I used a little more garlic and marinated it from Friday (4:00 am) to Sunday eve (6:00pm). I cooked it for 20 minutes in a regular oven and rested it for 10 minutes.

Oven Temperature: 400°F

Servings: 6
Yield: Yield: Makes 6 servings

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 48 hours and 30 minutes
Total Time: 49 hours

2/3 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
8 garlic cloves
3 fresh rosemary sprigs
2 shallots
3 tsp. kosher salt
1½ tsp. ground black pepper
15 TBS. olive oil divided (¾ cup + 3 TBS.)
2 12- to 14-ounce pork tenderloins, trimmed
Apple-Cranberry Chutneyhomemade
Creamed Cornhomemade

Combine first 6 ingredients in processor and chop finely. Blend in oil. Transfer marinade to glass baking dish. Add pork tenderloins to marinade, turning to coat. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 48 hours if possible, if not for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat 3 TBS. oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Remove pork from marinade. Add pork to skillet and sauté until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer skillet to oven and roast pork until a meat thermometer inserted into center registers 160°F, about 20 minutes. Let rest closely tented in heavy duty foil for 10 minutes.

Serve with Cream Corn and Apple-Cranberry Chutney.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Bon Appetit, Main Dish, Mint, Pork, Shallots

Source: Bon Appétit March 2003
Web Page: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...-Chutney-107862

PORK RAGOUT

This can also be made using canned tomatoes, drained and chopped. The original herb in the recipe was thyme, which was also good, and I have also made it with a combination of sage and rosemary that was fantastic. If you have no Crème Fraiche heavy cream will do, but the Crème Fraiche makes a difference.

I have also made delicious variations on this using veal, and various types of dried mushrooms

Oven Temperature: 300°F

Servings: 6

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Inactive Time: 48 hours
Total Time: 50 hours and 30 minutes

5 lb. boneless pork shoulder, cut in 1 ½ in. cubes
4 tsps. kosher salt
4 tsps. fresh sage
4 tsps. fresh rosemary, minced
¼ tsp. allspice
6 2-3 clove(s) garlic; chopped
¼ cup olive oil
4 cup cup(s) onions; thinly sliced
1 cup dry white vermouth
3 cup ½-2 cup(s) fresh tomatoes; peeled, seeded, chopped
4 cup cremini or white mushrooms
2 tsp. lemon juice
½ cup water
2 TBS. butter
¼ tsp. salt
4 ½-2 TBS. cornstarch
¼ cup white wine
½ cup parsley (fresh), chopped
½ cup Crème Fraîche OR heavy cream

A. Combine the salt, allspice, herbs, and garlic in a mortar and pound to a paste. Combine with the meat in a stainless or ceramic bowl and mix to coat the meat. Press a pieces of plastic wrap onto the surface, cover the bowl, and refrigerate for 2 days.

B. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. If pork has exuded juices pat it dry before browning. Heat a large skillet or sauté pan over med-high heat, add oil, and brown the meat on all sides, removing pieces to a casserole as they are browned and adding another, until all are browned. If much fat cooked out, remove most of it (I usually have to add more oil as I go, meat has gotten so lean). When meat is all browned, add the onions and cook several minutes, until lightly browned. Deglaze the pan with the vermouth, and pour into the casserole. Add tomatoes, mix well, and bring to a simmer. Cover and place in oven. Bake 1 ¼-1 ½ hrs., stirring a few times, until meat is tender.

C. Meanwhile, prepare mushrooms: wash and quarter them - if very large (2" or more) cut into sixths. Place in a small saucepan with the lemon juice, water, butter, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer 3 min. Pour liquid into casserole, and set mushrooms aside. Combine the starch and wine and set aside.

When meat is done, skim off any fat (if much cooked off), mix the starch/wine well, and pour most of it in, stirring until thickened, adding the rest if needed. Add mushrooms, and simmer, several minutes, stirring frequently. Off heat, stir in the Crème Fraîche, and serve, sprinkled with parsley, and with plenty of freshly baked bread, to soak up the sauce.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Crème Fraîche, Main Dish, Pork

Author: Dave Cook's Illustrated Board
Source: Adapted from From Julia Child's Kitchen
Web Page: http://www.americastestkitchen.com/ibb/p...p=1#175146

HAWAIIAN-STYLE BRAISED PORK WITH STIR-FRIED CABBAGE

Servings: 4
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours

3½ lbs. boneless country-style pork spareribs, cut into 1 ½-inch cubes
3 TBS. vegetable oil
6 garlic cloves, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
2 TBS. chopped peeled fresh ginger
1¾ cup low sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 TBS. dark brown sugar
¼ tsp. dried crushed red pepper
¼ tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
1½ TBS. cornstarch

Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add ⅓ of pork to pot and sauté until brown, about 6 minutes; transfer to bowl. Repeat with remaining pork. Add garlic, green onions, and ginger to pot; sauté 1 minute. Return pork and any juices to pot. Add 1½ cups broth, soy sauce, sugar, crushed red pepper, and five-spice powder; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until pork is very tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Stir remaining broth and cornstarch in cup to dissolve; mix into pork. Simmer until gravy thickens, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Season with pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly and chill. Rewarm over low heat.) Serve pork with cabbage.

Recipe Type: BEST, Bon Appetit, Main Dish, Make-Ahead, Meat, Pork, Scallions

Source: Bon Appétit | April 2002
Web Page: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...;saved_to_box=y

I also love Pork Diane from C@H June 2007 #63. You can find the recipe here as well.
  Re: Re: Pork Recipes by Cubangirl (Barbara I have 26 tr...)
Oh I love that hawaiian braised pork recipe. I substituted pork tenderloin once and was not a good way to go. Make as is with the country style ribs.
  Re: Re: Pork Recipes by Trixxee (Oh I love that hawai...)
After 20+ years of eating only poultry and fish, I recently decided to add some pork into the mix occasionally.

I think that Jean gave me this recipe. It's not CAH, but received absolute raves when I served it for a holiday party. Super easy, too.

Spicy Lemon-Rosemary Pork Tenderloin

6 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup rosemary leaves
2 Tbs crushed red pepper
6 garlic cloves, chopped
Four 1-pound pork tenderloins
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. In a large, resealable plastic bag, combine the oil, lemon juice, rosemary, red pepper, garlic and pork. Press out any air in the bag, seal and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours.

2. Let the pork stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 400° and preheat a griddle or a very large skillet.

3. Remove the pork from the marinade. Scrape off most of the garlic and rosemary and season the tenderloins with salt and pepper. Set them on the griddle and cook over high heat until browned all over, about 6 minutes.

4. Transfer the tenderloins to a large rimmed baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 14 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 130°. Cover the tenderloins loosely with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. 8 servings

5. Pair this spicy pork with an aromatically intense, peppery Syrah.

Author: Jimmy Bradley, F&W
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Pork Recipes by foodfiend (After 20+ years of e...)
A lot of good ideas here - I have to add this one. It's perfect to make just before you know your oven needs cleaning!!

From a Chef's Journey...Home, pg. 94

Messiest Pork Loin Ever

I can remember almost crying when I wanted to make this pork roast ~ it made such a mess in my oven, it had to be cleaned every time I gave in and made this dish. But it was worth it, the family loved it.

3-4 lb. loin of pork roast (see below for prepping roast)
1 can cream of tomato soup
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup thinly sliced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. lemon juice
2 tsp. prepared mustard
4 drops of Tabasco sauce

Roast the loin pork, uncovered in a 325°F. oven for 45 minutes.

While the pork is roasting, combine the sauce ingredients and after the 45 minutes, spoon over the roast making sure the sauce goes between the partial slices.

Continue roasting, spooning the sauce over the meat two or three times until the pork reaches an internal temperature of 145°F. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.

Finish slicing through the roast for individual portions and spoon sauce over each slice.

CJ’s tip: Cut partially through the loin roast between the rib bones to allow the sauce to cover as much of the roast as possible. As the pork roasts the sauce flavors every slice. Baked potatoes go very well with the roast, spooning some of the sauce over the potatoes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Recipes by cjs (A lot of good ideas ...)
Of course, there's always Lechón Asado.

Made that last week and, of course, used some of the leftovers for Cuban Sandwiches. Always incredible.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pork Recipes by labradors (Of course, there's a...)
This is a sauce we love with roasted pork tenderloin:

* Exported for MasterCook 4 by Living Cookbook *

Dried Cherry-Port Sauce with Onions and Marmalade

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, halved and sliced 1/3 inch thick
-- (about 1 1/2 cups)
3/4 cup port
3/4 cup dried cherries
2 Tbs orange marmalade
3 Tbs unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
Table salt and ground black pepper

1. Immediately after placing pork in oven, add oil to still-hot skillet,
swirl to coat, and set skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and cook,
stirring frequently, until softened and browned about the edges, 5 to 7
minutes (if drippings are browning too quickly, add 2 tablespoons water and
scrape up browned bits with wooden spoon). Set skillet aside off heat.

2. While pork is resting, set skillet over medium-high heat and add port
and cherries; simmer, scraping up browned bits with wooden spoon, until
mixture is slightly thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add any accumulated pork
juices and continue to simmer until thickened and reduced to about 1/3 cup,
2 to 4 minutes longer. Off heat, whisk in orange marmalade and butter, one
piece at a time. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.