Wine Recommendation!!
  Re: (...)
The other day Vicci mentioned a wine they had tried - Apothic, which I'd never heard of. A California wine from the valley and we were able to find a bottle of the Apothic Red yesterday locally and is it ever a great wine!!

A blend of Zin, Merlot, Syrah and Cab

Apothic Wines

Thanks Vicci - we'll be looking for all the offerings as we hit different places. Sulphur only had this blend.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Wine Recommendation!! by cjs (The other day Vicci ...)
I've never had the Red, only the Dark and the Crush. Those two were quite nice wines and I will pick up a bottle of the Red next time. We just bought a couple bottles of Crush yesterday to get us to the next DE trip (since wine, in our "new" state, is not taxed), and we shall then buy freely!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation!! by foodfiend (I've never had the R...)
I've seen this brand - will pick up a bottle next time I'm at the store, which will no doubt be tomorrow.

Vicci - when you say taxed to you mean regular old 8% sales tax (or whatever your state is) or something else?

A good thing all of our grocery stores have been doing is a 30% discount on 4 or 6 bottles of assorted wines (depending on the store). That makes a big difference. I know we can all do math but a $20 bottle on sale for $15 with 30% off on top of that is now $10.50 (oh jeez I hope I did that math right).
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation!! by Trixxee (I've seen this brand...)
We get a lot of those deals in WA, also - 6 bottles for ......

Looking forward to finding the others.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation!! by cjs (We get a lot of thos...)
Trixxee, I did mean the usual (in our case) 6% state sales tax. It doesn't make a big difference on a bottle or two, but if we like a wine and want several bottles, it adds up. Plus, alcohol prices in DE are generally lower than they are in PA.
Now, at our lake house in WV, we never buy liquor in that state because they add an extra "sin tax" (around 10%)to the price plus the tax amount. Yeesh.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation!! by foodfiend (Trixxee, I did mean ...)
During the holidays one store was offering 40% off 6 bottles (and the clerk told Tony the other day they are bringing back that promotion closer to Easter).

Needless to say, with the available discounts I NEVER buy just one bottle of wine. It's always 6 at the minimum.
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation!! by Trixxee (During the holidays ...)
That's the only reason we buy so many bottles, too!!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation!! by cjs (That's the only reas...)
Lucky ducks. PA has never, that I've noticed, had specials on multiples. In fact, I've tried to get a discount on a case of wine but was told that they didn't do that. Geez.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation!! by foodfiend (Lucky ducks. [img]/...)
I need to look around! The wine AND the deals! SIN TAX? REALLY?!?! Oh WOW!l. Living in the Bible Belt, even I haven't heard of that.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation!! by Gourmet_Mom (I need to look aroun...)
Bringing this to the top after a conversation with a wine distributor at Safeway yesterday.

I did not know Apothic is made by Gallo!! Nothing on the bottles reflect this.

I had stopped to tell the rep how much we were enjoying this wine and he said to come with him - he had a treat for us.

The same winemaker that makes Apothic makes Dark Horse Big Red Blend and it's cheaper. I bot a bottle and we both really enjoyed it!
www.achefsjourney.com