New book by Michael Ruhlman
  Re: (...)
It's called "Ruhlman's How to Braise, foolproof techniques and recipes for the home cook". Just got this brand new book at the library today. Nice book for cold weather cooking. The braised duck legs are calling my name...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: New book by Michael Ruhlman by Mare749 (It's called "Ruhlman...)
Sounds amazing! I'll have to check it out!!!
  Re: New book by Michael Ruhlman by Mare749 (It's called "Ruhlman...)
A trip to the library may be in order next week.

Those duck legs do sound awfully good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: New book by Michael Ruhlman by Harborwitch (A trip to the librar...)
Must check this out! I'm really into braising these cold winter days!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: New book by Michael Ruhlman by Gourmet_Mom (Must check this out!...)
If you want the recipe for the duck legs, Sharon, I'll type it up for you tomorrow. I decided that I will be purchasing this book. It's really that good.
Maryann

Re: Re: New book by Michael Ruhlman by Mare749 (If you want the reci...)
Oh Crap!! Echoes of Sharon.... I DON'T HAVE ROOM!!

But, will look it over. Speaking of books, I've been going thru my ebook cookbooks I've been getting TOO many of, listing dishes I'd like to make. Going thru Japanese Cooking Made Easy, I found I was listing every recipe. So, I do have to buy the hard copy of this one!!!!

P.S. I hope you will post the recipe for Sharon.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New book by Michael Ruhlman by cjs (Oh Crap!! Echoes of ...)
Jean, I found Japanese Cooking Made Simple? Not Easy? I'm looking on Amazon.
Daphne
  Re: Re: New book by Michael Ruhlman by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I found Japane...)
Yup, you're right - it's a great book! Sorry

[Image: Japanese_zps713b42c1.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New book by Michael Ruhlman by cjs (Yup, you're right - ...)
Thanks! Off to look more closely at both.
Daphne
  Re: Re: New book by Michael Ruhlman by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks! Off to look...)
Here it is, Jean.

Hot and Sour Braised Duck Legs with orange zest and chiles

FOR THE DUCK:
1 T. vegetable oil
1 carrot, roughly chopped
½ Spanish onion, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, smashed with the flat side of a knife
5 ¼-inch discs fresh ginger
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 orange
4 duck legs
½ cup dry white wine
3 star anise
2 bay leaves
FOR THE SAUCE:
3 T. red wine vinegar
3 T. hoisin sauce
1½ T. chili paste with garlic
2 tsp. Asian fish sauce
2 T. confectioners' sugar
¼ tsp. five-spice powder
6 to 10 dried red chiles
1 1-inch piece ginger, grated
4 garlic cloves, smashed with the flat side of a knife, then minced
2 scallions, sliced on a bias
Cornstarch-water slurry (optional)

1. TO MAKE THE DUCK:

2. Preheat your oven to 300°. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Add the scallions, carrot, onion, garlic, ginger, and an aggressive pinch or two of salt, and sauté the vegetables till they have softened, a few minutes.

3. Using a vegetable peeler, take off as much of the orange zest as you can, trying to take as little of the white pith with it as possible. If the peels are wider than ½ inch, cut them to an appropriate size. Juice the orange.

4. Season the duck legs with salt and pepper and nestle them into the vegetables. Add the wine, half of the orange juice, a third of the orange zest, the star anise, and the bay leaves andd bring the liquid to a simmer. Cover, place in the oven and cook until the duck is firm but tender, about 90 minutes.

5. Remove the duck to a skillet while you prepare the sauce Turn on your broiler.

6. TO MAKE THE SAUCE:

7. Strain the braising liquid into a fat separator. Pour off the defatted liquid into a bowl or large measuring cup; reserve 3 T. of the fat to make the sauce, if you wish.

8. Add the vinegar, hoisin sauce, chili paste with garlic, fish sauce, remaining orange juice, confectioners' sugar, and five-spice powder to the defatted liquid and stir to combine. Set aside.

9. In a wok or skillet, heat the reserved duck fat (or 3 T. vegetable oil) over high heat (turn on your hood fan if you have one). Sauté the the chiles until they blacken. Add the ginger, garlic, and scalllions and stir-fry until cooked, 30 seconds or so. Add the remaining orange zest and stir-fry for another 30 seconds. Add the braising liquid and pungent sauce. Bring it to a simmer, and then turn the heat to low.

10. Put the duck beneath the broiler to crisp the skin. When the skin is browned and crisp, return the sauce to a simmer, add the duck and gently turn the legs in the sauce to coat. If you prefer a thicker sauce, add the slurry as desired and serve.

Servings: 4

Source: Ruhlman's How to Braise
Maryann