Review - A New Coleslaw
  Re: (...)
And, this is coming from someone who doesn't even really care for green olives!!! Saw this in one of the ebook cookboks I got recently. I had some pkg'd slaw I needed to use, so made 1/2 the recipe - Roy's going to love this one. I even like it!!

COLESLAW WITH SPANISH OLIVES

When a friend arrived at our house with this out-of-the-ordinary coleslaw, I loved the unique flavor but couldn’t figure out what made this version so distinctive. When I quizzed my pal, Betty Couvares, she explained that her mother, while making coleslaw one day, discovered too late that she was out of vinegar and tossed in chopped Spanish olives instead. This serendipitous creation has remained a favorite in my friend’s family for years. The olives (the taste I couldn’t detect) impart a salty, slightly tart note and keep the slaw from being cloyingly sweet.

1 medium (2-pound) green cabbage with attractive outer leaves
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
1 ¼ cups (about 7 ¼ ounces) whole Spanish olives stuffed with pimentos (see note)
3 Tbs regular (not reduced-fat or nonfat) mayonnaise
3 Tbs chopped fresh chives

1. Remove 4 to 5 of the attractive outer leaves from cabbage, rinse, and pat dry.

2. Store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator until you are ready to garnish slaw.

3. Cut cabbage into ¼-inch-wide slices until you get to the core.

4. Discard the core and chop the cabbage slices coarsely.

5. Measure 8 cups chopped cabbage and put into a medium nonreactive bowl. (Save extra cabbage for another use.)

6. Add carrots to cabbage.

7. Chop olives and add to bowl.

8. Stir in mayonnaise and mix well.

9. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. (The slaw can be prepared up to 6 hours ahead. Keep refrigerated.)

10. To serve, line a shallow serving bowl with the reserved cabbage leaves.

11. Stir chives into slaw and mound in bowl.

Tips
NOTE: Spanish olives stuffed with pimentos, usually sold in glass jars, are available in the condiment section of the grocery. I’ve tried other olives, including French, Italian, and Greek types, but this recipe always works best with the ordinary Spanish olives.

Source: The Big Book of Backyard Cooking: 250 Favorite Recipes for Enjoying the Great Outdoors. Kindle Edition.

Author Notes
This slaw goes well with Ribs, Deep South Style (page 110) and with Barbecued Salmon with a Mahogany Glaze (page 86) .

SERVES 6

------------------
[Image: Feb22ColeslawwSpanishOlives_zps17631a25.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Review - A New Coleslaw by cjs (And, this is coming ...)
Do Spanish olives contain pimentos?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Review - A New Coleslaw by BarbaraS (Do Spanish olives co...)
mostly, but mine weren't pitted.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review - A New Coleslaw by cjs (mostly, but mine wer...)
Interesting!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.