Review: Guisado de Pollo (Chicken and Potato Stew)
  Re: (...)
I've had this Saveur recipe marked "to try" since 2012... Rolleyes

We both liked it very much. The only change that I made was to use canned crushed pineapple and omit the capers. I really think that the pineapple added a wonderful flavor. I can't wait to try the leftovers since we all know that stews taste better the next day!

Guisado de Pollo (Chicken and Potato Stew)

Hearty and filling, this easy chicken stew gets its signature smoky flavor from chipotles in adobo. It can also be made with any shredded, leftover meat, including pork or beef.

Serves 6-8

INGREDIENTS
¼ cup canola oil
1 ½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 small white onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped fresh or canned pineapple
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried thyme
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 canned chipotles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
1 jalapeño, quartered lengthwise
1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into ½" cubes
4 cups chicken stock
3 sprigs epazote (available at melissas.com) or cilantro
1 (15-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed
3 tbsp. capers, rinsed
Juice of 1 lime

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Heat oil in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, and working in batches, add to pan, and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool; using a fork, finely shred meat and set aside.
2. Return saucepan to heat, and add onion, carrot, and peppers; cook, stirring, until soft, about 8 minutes. Add pineapple, cumin, thyme, garlic, chipotles, and jalapeño, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add reserved shredded chicken back to pan along with potatoes, stock, epazote, and tomatoes, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Add capers and juice, and season with salt and pepper before serving.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Review: Guisado de Pollo (Chicken and Potato Stew) by foodfiend (I've had this [i]Sav...)
That sounds good, but the way I love capers, I'd sure use them also
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review: Guisado de Pollo (Chicken and Potato Stew) by cjs (That sounds good, bu...)
This sounds really good. The pineapple is interesting! Thanks Vicci. Going on the list.
  Re: Re: Review: Guisado de Pollo (Chicken and Potato Stew) by Trixxee (This sounds really g...)
I was right-- That stew is even better after the flavors got a chance to meld! Tonight, I served them over fried slices of polenta (was going to make sopas, but ran out of time).

Jean, the capers were in the other house...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Review: Guisado de Pollo (Chicken and Potato Stew) by foodfiend (I was right-- That s...)
Oh, I'm glad you are a caper person....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Review: Guisado de Pollo (Chicken and Potato Stew) by foodfiend (I've had this [i]Sav...)
I like it. A few changes: forget the pineapple, leave the capers in, add nicoise olives whole, and substitute whole chicken wings for the thighs, adding them back when serving to make it interesting. It is still a fusion dish but gets away from the tropical influence.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Review: Guisado de Pollo (Chicken and Potato Stew) by Old Bay (I like it. A few ch...)
Bill, I'm with you all the way except for the wing. Wings would be good, but I also see nothing wrong with the thighs either.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review: Guisado de Pollo (Chicken and Potato Stew) by Gourmet_Mom (Bill, I'm with you a...)
Jane and I don't care for dark meat, except for making stock. I do use it in gumbo because the dish is so spicey. Wings are more moist than breasts.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".