Truffle Lovers!!
  Re: (...)
Just read this -

"Consumers are being wined and dined to a fare-thee-well as restaurateurs seek to maintain positive sales momentum and obtain competitive advantage. According to research by The NPD Group, the use of attractive ingredients is the best way to elicit an order and is far more impactful than price in the purchase decision. Operators have taken this to heart and expanded their pantries to include a wide range of alluring, premium foodstuffs aimed at promoting patronage. One ingredient in the spotlight of late is the truffle, a rare fungus prized for its subtle earthy flavor and aroma that grows underground near the roots of trees and is sniffed out by specially trained pigs or dogs. Harvest is typically slow and laborious, making the product all the more expensive and desired. This year, however, a bumper crop of white truffles from Italy and increasing supply of domestically produced black truffles has caused prices to plummet and interest to soar. Whether black or white, truffles are turning up everywhere."

Restaurant News
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Truffle Lovers!! by cjs (Just read this - [br...)
YES!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Truffle Lovers!! by Harborwitch (YES!...)
Jane and I had Alba white truffles in a sauce over pasta at Union Square in NYC two years ago . It was a $70 first course and we split it. The waiter came by the table. Showed it to us, and let us smell it. Georgeous, visually, to the nose, and to the taste. Jane's eyes glazed over. Anytime you have the opportunity, if it is all you eat, DO IT! Nothing like it.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Truffle Lovers!! by Old Bay (Jane and I had Alba ...)
Sure hope I can take advantage of this!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Truffle Lovers!! by cjs (Sure hope I can take...)
Oh my!!!! Bill's got me drooling! And Jean, I'm with you! If nothing else, I'm checking out prices on truffle cheese!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.