Issue 55
  Re: (...)
Today I finally received this issue. It really is mindboggling how long it takes for the mail to be received from overseas BUT---they are always worth the patience. Just a question--has anybody tried any of the recipes and, if so, what were you really happy with?
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Issue 55 by Roxanne 21 (Today I finally rece...)
Issue 55 is one of my favorite. I tried the Pork Chops osso buco recipe. It was out of this world. I had a problem looking for fennel. Turns out fennel is also called anise & the fennel fronds are the tiny greens. Be sure to use a good balsamic vinegar.
I'm gonna make Mediterranean chops tonight.
The pork potstickers are called gyozas in Japan. The recipe is essentially the same, except my Japanese friends use egg whites rather than water to seal the wrapper. My friends usually make 50 at a time to use up a package of wrappers. They separate the gyozas with waxed paper as they will otherwise stick together.
Tony
  Re: Re: Issue 55 by Backhertz (Issue 55 is one of m...)
I overheard my wife tonight telling my daughter about the Mediterranean pork chops I cooked earlier this afternoon. She said, "Dad created another masterpiece." She didn't care for the olives imply because she doesn't care for green olives. This was the first time I ever cooked with raisins. It was delicious.
  Re: Re: Issue 55 by Backhertz (I overheard my wife ...)
Ya know--that particular recipe was one of the only ones that did not peek my interest. Hmmm--will have to rethink that one. We don't particularly care for green olives in an entree either but I will eliminate them and add more raisins. Thanks for the heads up.
  Re: Re: Issue 55 by Roxanne 21 (Ya know--that partic...)
Good luck. I did something yesterday which may hae enhanced the dish. My wife worked later than I anticipated. As a result, the pork chops simmered for an extra hour. As a result, the raisins swelled up & the sauce reduced. I also added more onions & garlic than were on the recipe- just because. As for the cooking instructions. I sauteed the onions until light brown, probably 5-10 minutes. Then I added the garlic (6-7 large cloves) until soft, several minutes before I added the raisins. I cooked it probably an hour and a half.
Tonight I'm gonna try the sugar-rubbed New York strip steak.
  Re: Re: Issue 55 by Backhertz (Good luck. I did so...)
My husband and I loved the Mediterranean Pork Chop dish! I will fix it again soon. I like green olives in the recipe. Cooking does tone them down a little.
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Issue 55 by Bizymomma (My husband and I lov...)
I've never had great luck with pork chops--maybe that's my problem. Any suggestions as to how I can achieve tender, moist chops (NOT leather). I have tried every suggestion and have always come up with the same result---HELP!!! You are tempting me to go for this dish!
  Re: Re: Issue 55 by Roxanne 21 (I've never had great...)
Sounds like maybe you're just overcooking them. Remember, you don't have to cook pork until it's completely cooked through anymore. Make sure too, that you buy pork chops that are at least over 1/2 thick. By searing them in the skillet for a couple of minutes, you're giving them a nice golden color. The tenderness comes when you return them and let them braise in the liquid. I really don't think you'd be disappointed with this dish.
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Issue 55 by Bizymomma (Sounds like maybe yo...)
I have made those pork chops a few times now. Once for a crowd of about 25. Everybody loved them.
  Re: Re: Issue 55 by piano226 (I have made those po...)
OKAY----I'm convinced----will try when I have electricity --we have been having MAJOR outages here--no rhyme or reason to the rolling blackouts---when there is a return to normality I will see what I can achieve. Thank you all for your input!!! Roxanne