Milk Toast
  Re: (...)
I posted this on facebook this morning and thought I'd share it here, also - even tho the last time I mentioned this dish a few unrefined peasants gagged................ I've never seen anything in print about milk toast before.

"Saw this on Food52 – anyone else grow up on this dish when you weren’t feeling well?? My sister and I did and I still love it. Have never seen anything written about it before! But, I’m in good company with M.F.K. Fisher, that’s for sure!! Pouring scalded milk over 2 slices of toast in a shallow soup bowl and adding a couple knobs of butter and salt and pepper. The memories of this therapy makes my taste buds wake up!!

“Milk toast has been knotted up with connotations so profoundly bland (I blame this guy) that we're starting to forget what it actually is -- which is simply toast soaked in buttered milk. In An Alphabet For Gourmets, M. F. K. Fisher calls it "a warm, mild, soothing thing, full of innocent strength" in a recipe titled, appropriately, Milk Toast (for the Ill, Weak, Old, Very Young, or Weary).” "
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Milk Toast by cjs (I posted this on fac...)
I still have trouble wrapping my brain around this one, but I'm considering?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Milk Toast by cjs (I posted this on fac...)
I will look at this post more carefully later. In the middle of my dinner at the moment but wanted to check in and say HI!!!!

Okay--just read it----my grandmother used to give this to us whenever we were under the weather....not very often though because we were tough farmer offspring!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Milk Toast by Roxanne 21 (I will look at this ...)
Well two so far and no gagging!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Milk Toast by cjs (Well two so far and ...)
Sorry Jean, but I did not grow up with this and it doesn't sound appealing. I do, however, love a good piece of bread with gravy on top.

I had a neighbor several years ago who had ulcers. He would sit on his back porch and eat crushed crackers and milk with a spoon. That didn't sound good either.
  Re: Re: Milk Toast by cjs (Well two so far and ...)
GAG! My Grandmother fixed this for me once - she used cinnamon and I gagged. I was 45 before I could eat bread pudding. Even stuffing was a stretch for me.

My Dad's favorite late evening (8pm) snack was graham crackers broken up in a bowl of milk. He would have been so tickled when that cereal that tastes like graham crackers.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Milk Toast by Harborwitch (GAG! My Grandmother...)
Crap I have so much to say and I'm on my ipad - hope I can all again.

The sun drove me in so I'll answer this one on the laptop. Crackers, milk and sugar - my Grandpa and I used to pretend we were sneaking into the kitchen and have this snack just before bed. I don't know if I liked it as much for the flavor or for the fun with (can you believe this is what we called him, honest) "MoreDaddy"
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Milk Toast by cjs (Crap I have so much ...)
My grandmother always made biscuits every morning. Many times I saw my graddaddy break up a biscuit in a bowl and pour on milk. He had a major sweet tooth, and I believe he sprinkled liberally with sugar. It would always gross me out.

In all fairness, I spent my childhood serving my plate one dish at a time. (Oddly enough, my mother said this same grandfather had this same odd habit.). And I HATED things getting soggy...bread, fried anything, etc. I got over the single serve thing as a teenager, but the soggy bread issue, I really never got over when referring to just bread. So the idea of the milk toast is still a little weird.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Milk Toast by Gourmet_Mom (My grandmother alway...)
Sorry, Jean, in the gag camp! Although I will admit to throwing ripped pieces of white bread into Whylers soup as my comfort food when I am not feeling well!

And I am okay with bread puddling, but crackers or bread and milk isn't working for me! How funny those memories it is bringing up of all of our childhoods, though!
  Re: Re: Milk Toast by iBcookin (Sorry, Jean, in the ...)
Now I love bread pudding, stuffing, and I even dip good crusty bread in my glass of red wine. Except that I can't do bread anymore . . . . Tongue
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!