BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative
  Re: (...)
This is a recipe from a Chef's Journey...Home, so some of you have it, but don't know if anyone has made it. I got a hunger for it to go with our steak today and I had what I thought was a jar of Marinara from Laura. Turned out to be Roasted Pepper Salsa. So, went ahead with it and I'm really surprised at how tasty the salad is. I just may do this again.

If anyone wants the recipe - since it's about time to start thinking about side salads, I'll post it.

[Image: Mar%2013%20BBQ%20Macaroni%20Salad_zpsxawlkysc.jpg]

The added bonus for this salad is I just made 1/2 the recipe and still got two nice bowls out of it for 2 dinners!! a good thing - one will stay in the fridge so someone won't be tempted to go overboard.....

P.S. - full disclosure: had some leftover kidney beans in fridge, so added them. recipe doesn't call for, but what the heck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative by cjs (This is a recipe fro...)
Jean, I have made your recipe from A Chef's Journey...Home and my family loved it. There was another recipe you gave me one time for a pasta salad that you used to use for catering and I can't remember the name of it but the family really went wild over that one because it had cheese in it and I'm thinking it might have had pepperoni, too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative by Mare749 (Jean, I have made yo...)
I think it's this one, Maryann - Man, I used to have to make this one a lot!! haven't made now forever!

* Exported from MasterCook *

ANTIPASTO TORTELLINI SALAD

1 package cheese tortellini -- fresh or frozen, 12 oz.
4 ounces Salami -- chopped
4 ounces provolone cheese -- cut into 2X1/4X1/4" strips
1 can whole kernel corn -- (11 oz.)
1 package frozen spinach -- thawed
1 jar marinated artichoke heart -- drained
1 can ripe olives -- pitted
1 1/2 cups Creamy Italian Salad Dressing
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 ounces Parmesan cheese -- grated
1 jar diced pimientos -- drained

Cook tortellini to desired doneness. Drain; rinse with cold water.

In a very large bowl, combine tortellini with salami, provolone, corn, spinach, artichoke hearts & 1 cup of the olives.
In a small bowl, combine dressing, Dijon and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese; blend well.
Pour dressing over salad; toss gently.

Top with remaining olives and Parmesan cheese.
Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours to blend flavors.
Just before serving, garnish w/pimientos and other garnishes.

Yield:
"3 quarts"

Description:
"This is a wonderful buffet dish. It was the most requested salad during my catering days."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative by cjs (I think it's this on...)
I don't remember seeing this recipe. Thanks, Jean! I'll look,for the other one, also!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative by Gourmet_Mom (I don't remember see...)
Yes, that's the one! I just didn't remember the tortellini part. I made that for a large family gathering and it was the hit of the party. I'm going to keep this recipe on my desk so that I remember to make it for my dad's birthday party in May.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative by Mare749 (Yes, that's the one!...)
That looks delicious! It's been copied and saved.
  Re: Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative by karyn (That looks delicious...)
Jean, do you leave the artichoke hearts whole? And I prefer black olives. Does it matter?
Daphne
  Re: Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, do you leave t...)
The artichokes, I rough chop and I normally used Kalamata or a small can of sliced black olives.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: BBQ Macaroni Salad - Alternative by cjs (The artichokes, I ro...)
That's what I figured. Thanks, Jean!
Daphne