2 For 1 Dinner - For Two
  Re: (...)
For most of us our kids are out of the house and we're cooking for two now. It's a whole new world of not taking advantage of some recipe(s) because of the quantities or using 1/2 cans of whatever. So, I'm finding more and more that it is more interesting to do something a little different with leftovers like this. (but, then I love leftovers!!)

Here's one from yesterday and this mornings champagne brunch and we really enjoyed both. It's a adaptation of a recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything blog.

Chicken Burrito Dip and Burritos – a 2 for 1 Dinner

This is one of those 2 for 1 dinners and to top it all off, the two only take 1/2 the original recipe! Because of that, the remaining black beans, enchilada sauce and black olives get used, so no waste. Adapted from the original recipe from the blog, “The Girl Who Ate Everything.”

For the dip:
1 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1/2 cup cooked white rice (minute rice works great here)
1/2 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 (10 oz) can Old El Paso mild enchilada sauce
1/2 cup corn kernels (from a can or frozen)
1/2 can (4.25 oz.) sliced black olives
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 1/4 cups cheddar cheese, divided
Tortilla chips for dipping
---------
For the Burritos – 2nd entrée:
Finely chopped jalapenos to taste – if candied jalapenos are available, these add a great flavor
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
4 6-7-inch Flour tortillas, wrapped in foil and heated for 10 minutes in a 350°F. oven
Additional grated cheese & sliced green onion for garnish
Fresh Cilantro for garnish

For the dip (1st dish):
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the cheese. Stir in 1 ½ cups of the cheddar cheese. Pour mixture into a pie plate or another small cooking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and dip is hot and bubbly. Serve with chips. 6 servings or 4 servings if making the 2nd entrée.

To plan on making the 2nd entrée, hold back 1/3 of the dip from above.

For the Leftover Chicken Burritos (2nd dish):
To the leftover dip, add the amount of chopped jalapenos you prefer plus the remaining black beans, enchilada sauce(holding back 3 T. to drizzle over burritos before baking) and the black olives. Combine well and divide between 4 tortillas. Roll up burrito style and place in a baking dish, seam side down, which has been sprayed with cooking spray. Drizzle the held back enchilada sauce over and bake in the oven until heated through.

Place 2 burritos on each plate and top with the garnishes.

Original source: http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.c...84EUlMI.99

Yesterday's dinner - Chicken Burrito Dip with Tortilla chips

[Image: Mar%2020%20Chix%20Burrito%20Dip%203_zpsagoovtmr.jpg]

And, this morning's brunch -
[Image: Mar%2021%20Chicken%20Burrito%202nd%20ent...f2vhwy.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: 2 For 1 Dinner - For Two by cjs (For most of us our k...)
Very nice. We are suddenly on a budget and groceries are about the only thing to cut down on so I'm looking to not waste anything if possible.
  Re: Re: 2 For 1 Dinner - For Two by Trixxee (Very nice. We are su...)
Budgets make for the best dishes!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2 For 1 Dinner - For Two by Trixxee (Very nice. We are su...)
Great plating and pictures Jean. CA asked me to tell you that her mouth is watering.

I have a new strategy for menu planning and grocery shopping. I used to plan out a menu a week in advance and shop for it, now it's day to day. I change my mine about dinner so often that it resulted in an amazing amount of food waste.
  Re: Re: 2 For 1 Dinner - For Two by losblanos1 (Great plating and pi...)
The biggest drawback to this forum is I get meals planned, too, and then I come on here and everyone sends me in a different direction!! But, I wouldn't have it any other way!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2 For 1 Dinner - For Two by cjs (The biggest drawback...)
I know what you mean Jean. My new strategy is off to shaky start. Karyn's making chicken satay today and it sounds so good that I put it down for tomorrows dinner.
  Re: Re: 2 For 1 Dinner - For Two by losblanos1 (I know what you mean...)
Both of those dishes look delicious, Jean. I love how you find new ways to use leftovers. It seems like your limited storage space has made you even more creative.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 2 For 1 Dinner - For Two by Mare749 (Both of those dishes...)
Thanks Maryann, I think you're right.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2 For 1 Dinner - For Two by cjs (Thanks Maryann, I th...)
I agree, Maryann! Well done, Jean!

Blane, I am hoping to get back to weekly planning. It has been too long! I used to be so good at it! Now my grocery bill is through the roof! I must get back to planning!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.