Pork cutlets
  Re: (...)
There is an excellent recipe for Japanese pork cutlets in issue 32. Quite simple BUT VERY tasty and an interesting change--if you're interested. You will need Panko bread crumbs though--nothing else creates the same dish---I've tried others and there is no comparison. If you do not have them readily available near you--you can order on line---well worth it (also used in other recipes in CAH so get a bunch--vacuum packed and will not spoil!!).

You guys are a little quiet!!! Are you okay???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Pork cutlets by Roxanne 21 (There is an excellen...)
Roxanne...I was thinking the same thing! I love checking this board and am disappointed when there are no new posts. HOWEVER.....if C@H came out more than everyother month, there might be more action! I've started ordering the back issues! I looked at the Pork Cutlets, but haven't fixed them yet! Let's get some fire going on this forum!!!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Pork cutlets by Bizymomma (Roxanne...I was thin...)
I get disappointed when there are no new posts too! Maybe I need more of a life... I was going to make Chili Chicken Skewers with Cilantro Pesto (from Issue 55) the other day, but didn't. I don't have a grill pan, we're out of propane for the gas grill, and by the time I got home, it was too late to fiddle with the charcoal grill. *sigh* Well, it's on my to-do list now. Oh, yeah, and I was going to make the chunky-banana sweet potato mash with it but...yeah.

The pork cutlets sound great! lol...but doesn't it all???
Tammy
I make those japanese pork chops very regularly. They are great.
Here you go, Debbie!! Hope you enjoy.

Japanese style Pork Cutlet

Makes four servings; Total time: 45 minutes

Prepare:
1/2 pound pork loin cutlets---I use tenderloin (awesome)
just slice loin across the grain about 1/2" thick then
pound to 1/4 " using plastic wrap. With the tenderloin cut the loin into four-five pieces and pound to 1/4"

1 1/2 cups raw medium grain rice
Simmer:
2 cups yellow onion, sliced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup mirin
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 T. sugar
4 slices fresh ginger
Bread cutlets in:
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 t. kosher salt
Heavy pinch black pepper
2-3 cups panko crumbs
Fry in:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Serve cutlets with:
Prepared rice
Chopped scallions

Prepare pork for cutlets. Cook rice as directed and keep warm until serving.

Simmer onion, broth, mirin, soy sauce, sugar and ginger in a large saute pan over med-low heat until onion is soft--about 15 minutes.

Before breading the cutlets, beat the eggs in a shallow bowl (pie plate), mix flour, salt and pepper in a second dish and place the panko in a third dish.
Bread the cutlets by first dredging both sides in flour mixture, then dipping into the eggs, and following with the panko. Then "double bread", dipping into the egg, then panko again. Transfer to a rack or plate until ready to fry. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a second saute pan.

Fry cutlets in batches, browning on both sides until cooked through, 6-8 minutes total. Transfer cutlets to a cooling rack set over paper towels to drain.

To serve, place 2 cutlets in the simmering broth; cook 1 minute to warm through. Remove and slice cutlets, place on top of some rice, ladle with broth and sprinkle with scallions.

ENJOY!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pork cutlets by Bizymomma (Roxanne...I was thin...)
Quote:

I've started ordering the back issues!

I just noticed this part of your post. You will love them! I had to have them all. If I remember correctly, I think I ordered all my issues at the same time...it felt like Christmas when they came! This was a long time ago though so I only had to get about 3 years worth. Yikes, time passes so quickly!!!
Tammy